Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fine dust /pollen removal techniques

1. Back To Top    #1

SW Washington

Question Fine dust /pollen removal techniques

I don't know why it's taken me am entire year to realize that the fine sediment I dutifully vacuum every time I get in the pool is the SAME stuff that keeps coming back out. I don't think it's dead algea as I've never had anything but a sparkling pool and when I do my testing my CC's are always <. 5.We did a ton of landscaping over the last year and I'm pretty sure this is dust from the many loads of gravel and soil we had dumped nearby. Anyhow, I have backwashed my filter which didn't seem to make any difference. I also tried pantyhose in the skimmer basket while vacuming (dust was back the next day).

My next plan involves the slime bag type setup using duda diesel bags . My question is whether or not this has to be put on the return or if I can line my skimmer basket with it? I don't want to do anything that will damage my pump. I also ordered some DE and will give that a shot

It's not a lot of dirt , just enough to bug me. Chances are if your on this site you take pride in perfect pool water so I hope you understand my plight .
    14k Gallon 24' x 54" Signature RTL , 1 hp 2 speed Pentair Optiflow, 350lb Pentair SD80 sand filter, 2" leaky plumbing, and my TF-100!

2. Back To Top    #2

Lake Luzerne, NY

Re: Fine dust /pollen removal techniques

For fine concrete dust I had in my pool after construction I used a hair net in the skimmer with two pieces of paper towel changed out everyday. After a week or so the pool cleaned up. Everyday the paper towel came out brown so it was definitely helping clean it up. I would give it a shot, it's a cheap solution to try.
    IG Leisure Pools Riviera Freeform 34' (Fiberglass 16,100 gallons advertised, actual is around 12,000 gallons), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair Sand Dollar 80, ZeoLite Filter Media, Off-line Chlorinator (not in use), 48" Under Coping Waterfall, PAL-2000 Lights w/ Wireless Driver, TF-100 Test Kit, August 2015 Install