Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 weeks of SLAM...blue but cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Question 3 weeks of SLAM...blue but cloudy

Hello, hoping for a little help again this spring. Everything went as planned with my SLAM, except I am now 3 weeks in and have gone through 58 gallons of 8.25 bleach. Headed out for 10 more.
    Dark green water when I started. I have maintained a shock level of 12 as per my CYA of 30 the whole time, testing 3-4 times a day, more frequently on weekends. My water is now a beautiful blue but still cloudy. It's been like this for the past week and a half. I have now let my CL drop to 5 which took all day Sat and Sun and up until this afternoon. I am losing less than 1% overnight which was accurate for 3 days in a row.

FC: 5.0
    CC: 0
    CH: 100
    TA: 90
    PH: 7.5
    CYA: 30

I am in deep water with the Admiral (my wife), it only costs $75. to drain and refill the pool. I was totally convinced I could get it done for less....hmmmmm, I am way over at this point but I don't want to dump it after buying all the bleach in town. Is there another possible reason for the cloudy water?
    Thanks.
    22K IG, Vinyl, Fiberglass steps, Triton II sand filter(new sand May 15)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3 weeks of SLAM...blue but cloudy

Dager, when someone hits a brickwall like you appear to have hit, I simply go back to a few basics since it's easy to get thrown off track:
    - When was the last time you confirmed your CYA?
    - Did you test the CYA outside under bright (natural) light at you back when viewing the black dot?
    - Are there any areas where algae can hide in your pool (ladders, behind a light fixture, etc)
    - How is water circulation?
    - Have you ever deep cleaned your sand filter? Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    - Of course review the SLMA page at least once a day , even if you have most of it memorized by now....just in case

Maybe something there will help.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for responding. I tested CYA today and outside with sun at my back. I haven't placed the ladder in the pool yet. I will scrub around the light again just to be sure. I started out last summer with new sand but will check it just in case. Thanks again.
    22K IG, Vinyl, Fiberglass steps, Triton II sand filter(new sand May 15)

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure if you can get in your water yet or reach the light ... but if you have one of those large traditional type light fixtures, you would be amazed at how much algae can hide behind that light in its niche over time. If you have such a light niche and are comfortable doing so, it would be a good idea to check in there.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I think a picture or two would be very helpful.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you tried the "DE in the sand filter" trick? Let me know if you have not tried it and not heard of it. I'm assuming it's still in Pool School.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Here you go: Add DE to a Sand Filter

But I would do the Deep cleaning first.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!