Poolife Active Cleaning Granules

Sep 6, 2014
Keller
I recently broke my ankle and foot in a few places and have been relying on the kindness of others to watch over and treat my pool. I am not able to move about much without the assistance of a wheelchair and/or walker.

I ran out of liquid chlorine two days ago however yesterday a neighbor dumped in a full gallon of Lowe's Chlorinating Liquid hoping to tide me over until a friend could get to the pool store. Heaven only knows the effectiveness of the dosing but I was ever so grateful for the effort.

Today my four bottle tote of liquid chlorine was delivered by the pool store worker who lives in my area. When I was thanking him he mentioned that they carry granules made by Poolife that don't add any conditioner that I might be able to use myself as opposed to having someone come over and dose the pool every night. The deep end of the pool is just outside the garage and I can wheel chair to the deep end fairly easily.

It's $99 for 25 lbs of granules. I was told it was 78% Calcium Hypochlorite with 22% other ingredients. Other than raising my CH levels is there any other side effect? Even as I become more mobile I will still need all the help that I can get and hauling a 25 lbs bucket every month or so is more appealing than chlorine bottles.

Mark Moore, Keller, TX
2013 in ground, 23,500 gallons, Pentair DE Filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Booster Pump for Cleaner, Pentair Racer Cleaner, Pentair Master Temp Heater

That's it, it will add calcium, increasing CH. Once CH gets high, it can cause scaling, especially if pH gets off. And the only way to remove it is to drain. If you have a vinyl liner, I'd be a little scared of it bleaching the liner, but if you have plaster, it won't hurt it.

You might consider the installation of a salt water chlorine generator. This puts an end to bleach additions. At the most, you may need some muriatic acid around.

Cal-hypo will add calcium. It also tends to raise pH because the "other ingredients" tend to be calcium carbonate, calcium hydroxide and calcium oxide as by products from the manufacturing process. Because of the increase in pH, water can appear cloudy temporarily after adding cal-hypo.

Sorry about the accident..

If there is any way possible, my #1 recommendation would be a salt water generator, it brings all the chlorine with it :) no hauling.. like was already said, Muriatic acid will be needed to keep the PH down but if your TA is kept between 70 and 90 its should be good for awhile...

with a 40k to 60k SWG generator you would be in great shape for your size pool... I love the curcupool but Pentair and Hayward have SWG also, all 3 are very good in that size...

Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

I hope this helps :)

Using Effects of Adding Chemicals down at the bottom of poolmath... A 25 lb bucket of Cal-hypo added to a 23,500 gallon pool will raise CH by about 65. Do you have room for it?

You'd be using roughly half a pound a day, so that bucket will last a little shy of two months. So you'd likely need at least a second bucket to carry you to the end of the season. That'll jack CH by 130. Still have room for it?

Was able to get a sample and tested CH. Currently at 240.

I should be OK with one bucket as I would still be under 350 which I believe is OK but on the high side.

if one bucket will last about two months I should be out of the wheel chair and able to move about with a knee wheel scooter or crutches by then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.