Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame

Tipher

Jul 18, 2015
Chapman, KS
Hello everyone,

It is a new year and going to be setting up the pool soon. We have the Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 48" pool and this year I want to switch over to a sand filter and swg system. I have been looking at all the different ones intex offers. What is the consensus on the Sand filter/swg all in one units or separate systems better?

Also how big of a sand filter/pump would be recommended? i see a 2650gph or a 2800gph etc..

What is the best sand to use?

Just got tired of trying to keep up with chemicals last year and I just don't think the pump did a good job keeping up last year with the water. I also want to be able to use a vacuum instead of the garden hose method.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame

I always recommend getting separate units rather than the combo because eventually one or the other, pump or SWG, will quit and you'll be stuck having to replace both. But that's really the only reason I can think of.

As for the size of pump, get the biggest you can afford within reason. I've never found myself wishing for less flow. I'm running 4500 gph in a 16'x48" and it's just fine. I can run the Intex robot and my normal return simultaneously.

You can get pool sand almost anyplace this time of year, Wal Mart, Ace Hardware, Academy Sports, Lowe's, Home Depot as well as any pool store. Just be sure it's pool sand and not playground sand (different size grains) and avoid the Qwikrete brand. People have had trouble with it being inconsistently sized and blowing back into their pools.

I personally would not recommend a SWG as it will cause your frame to rust. Just my personal opinion but have known people that had a SWG system for Intex and the pool frame rusted terribly. And have also ready countless times on here of the same issues. Again just my personal opinion

I have more trouble with ladders rusting than I do with the frame. I usually have to get a new ladder each year (I could sand and repaint the old one, but I'd rather be floating in the pool!).

My current Ultra Frame isn't showing any appreciable rust, going on three years old now. But if I did have to replace it every 3-4 years, it would still be worth it to me because of the hands free nature of the SWG. Once I get it dialed in, all I do is top off the water as needed. I only even bother to test maybe every 3 days or so later in the season, and occasionally have to add a little acid to lower the pH.

We typically take a couple of week long vacations each summer. I can throw my solar blanket over it and know I'll return home to the pool just as I left it.

Spread out over the lifetime of the pool, the $100/year is pretty cheap enjoyment, plus I'll be ready for a pretty new liner in another year. My current one is awfully faded below the waterline.

Jeffchap, that's great it's working out for you. But From my point of view it's not worth it. Too many times I've seen it destroy a good pool. But I'm weird and think it's also fun checking the pool daily and making sure everything is good. That's half the fun of owning a pool I think anyways.

Well Santa came early..hitting over 100 degrees got the pool filled up and just got the new sand filter and salt water and all the other stuff. Waiting on my test kit yet. My strips said FC was 0 pH was 7.8 and my cya was 100..but hoping test kit says otherwise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the Intex sand filters look at the sand capacity or filter diameter rather than the gph. The models have changed a bit since I bought mine a few years ago but I'd look for the one that holds 100lbs of sand. Less backwashing is nice.

The rusting seems to be hit or miss. I'm sure it has more to do with luck in getting one that was built when the finishing process was running well or not getting one that happened to be finished on a day when it wasn't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.