Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help With Pool Remodel Choices

1. Back To Top    #1

Help With Pool Remodel Choices

I hate my pool. It was included with the house we bought...we love the house, the property, everything...except the pool (and I'm pretty sure that the pool hates us as well). We live on 5 acres out in the country but we have a very geometrically shaped pool (Grecian) that doesn't even try to blend into the beautiful scenery that we live in. It's also not very big: 30x15 and only 3 to 6 feet deep (math says 15200 gal). The hot tub is also at the same water level as the pool (who came up with this stupid design) so if anyone is swimming in the pool, the cooler water comes right into the hot tub. After 5 years, it is time to try and do something about the pool. So we contacted several pool companies that did pool remodeling. We know that we need new plaster and that the pool filter and pumps need updating, but mostly we want the pool to 'fit in' to the outdoors better and do something to keep the hot tub water in and the pool water out. Maybe raise the wall of the hot tub, redo the concrete desk to soften the pool and spray extra coating in the corners of the pool to 'round' out the shape. We expected it not to be cheap...but every estimate has been $50,000 or more (up to $70,000).

Am I just crazy for thinking that this is too much for a pool remodel? I'm wondering if it would be easier to tear the pool out and build one that we would LIKE (instead of one we can tolerate). I'm also thinking of replacing some of the pool equipment myself (yes, I know how to do electrical, but I'm only talking about the filter to start). We live in California so we only use the heater for the hot tub and the one we have does the job, but the estimates all want to replace it.

All the estimates (kind of surprising) so far have suggested all Pentair equipment: "Easy Touch" pool/spa 8 computer and mobile computer, "Mastertemp" 400,000 BTU pool/spa heater, "Intelliflo" variable speed pump, CCP 520 cart filter, Globrite pool and spa lights, and Legend pool sweep. New pipes, tile, concrete (740 sq ft), and Pebble Tec coating. Added note: this does NOT including a SWG.

We're looking at finding some way to control this cost (around $16,000 for the pool equipt. alone) or other options and/or suggestions that could help us to come to peace with the pool. Are we crazy for thinking $50k for a pool remodel is kind of high? Should we just tear it out and build a pool that we could love? Any help is appreciated.
    30x15 Grecian shaped monster, 15200 gal, with a bunch of outdated, undersized Jandy pool equipment waiting to be transformed into something beautiful.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help With Pool Remodel Choices

Don't you already have a thread for this? I answered you over there.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would think a remodel would be the best move, but think about how to enhance what you have versus change it entirely. Looking at your pictures, I would add a rock waterfall, maybe at a corner of the pool to help disguise the rectangular shape a bit. Change the tile, pick a new plaster color, make the deck color a bit richer, see about scattering some boulders at the coping and/or adding some to the landscape, then landscape everything. Landscaping is a huge game changer, and when coupled with landscape lighting, will transform your space. For me, I would do all of that versus spending the money on remodel features that don't change much.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and add more decking, maybe with a firepit or large seating area to fill up that space at the back right of your picture. The hardscape can also be changed to enhance the look.
    Water in, we're swimming! IG 18x29 gunite, 3.5-6.5 depth, 14,000 gallons approx, 1 skimmer, Hayward 4030 cartridge filter, Hayward Tristar VSP, 20 ft. raised bond beam with sprayers, 40 sq ft sunshelf with 2 bubblers, 7 ft round attached spa, Hayward 250k heater, quartz plaster, travertine coping, approx 800 sq feet acrylic deck

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have a budget in mind? We are paying cash for our remodel and also want to change out our decking and add a kitchen eventually so we will be doing it in phases. Maybe this is a crazy idea, but could you place large boulders on the deck in the geometric corners of your pool to soften the shape and blend it into your yard better? Very crude idea below. And add/change decking to a larger freeform shape instead of the small geometric shape it is now. Then with new tile and a pretty surface color that is more natural you'd be in business.

IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

5. Back To Top    #5

We wanted to add rocks but were told that adding them to the edge of the pool would cause structural problems and could damage the pool. We still want to add smaller rocks in the concrete areas. We're getting another estimate tonight...hopefully we will get more/different info from this guy.
    30x15 Grecian shaped monster, 15200 gal, with a bunch of outdated, undersized Jandy pool equipment waiting to be transformed into something beautiful.