Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Liner Issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Liner Issue

This is the 3rd season that I've had my pool and gradually the liner below the skimmer basket has puckered and became extremely faded, thin and now has small rips in it. The rest of the liner is in great shape. Is this a chemical issue, liner issue, installation issue? I want to make sure I understand, before i go buying another liner.

thanks,

Tommy
    IMG_2829.JPGIMG_2830.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Liner Issue

Do you use trichlor tablets in your skimmer basket?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

how are you chlorinating? looks like tablets in your skimmer basket and when its not running the super high chlorinated water is breaking down your liner. You also have an algae outbreak and need to SLAM. in order to do that you need to read up on pool school and get yourself a test kit
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I'm using trihlor tablets in the skimmer basket.

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow that is seriously damaged. I don't know if that is repairable, but you should not be putting them in the basket.

That burned your liner up.

And better yet use bleach instead of pucks.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

There's some good pictures here of what happens when you have trichlor tablets sitting in a skimmer basket. Both liner damage and plumbing line damage. Vinyl Pools, Pool Liners, Pool Service, Pool Renovations in Bucks County and Montgomery County | APCO Pools Specialties, Inc.

As Dan mentioned, trichlor tablets are acidic and create a super chlorinated environment, especially when the pump is off and the tablet is still dissolving. This is why many pool services that stuff your skimmers full of trichlor tablets instruct homeowners to run their pumps 24/7 as it reduces that problem, but does not eliminate it. It's also expensive (electricity) and not necessary to run your pump 24/7 for filtration. If pucks must be used, they should only be placed in a floater in the pool and monitored so they don't sit in one area.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

i would suggest you get a new liner, and then read up on the TFP method (pool school link at top of page). We can help save you a lot of time and money and have an always clear pool. our method resolves around having an accurate test kit (TF100 is best value), and no, pool store testing is NOT accurate. we keep our chlorine levels based on the stabilizer (CYA) level, and we never need to shock the pool. we chlorine using liquid bleach (or saltwater systems).

if you are not interested in following the TFP method, thats fine too...but do yourself and get a floater to put those tablets in and stop ruining your liner
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone for the quick response!! I just ordered a new liner and will scrap the tablets and review the methods recommended.

9. Back To Top    #9

_DSC1065.jpgPool liner replacement complete!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Now that's a lovely looking pool. Let's keep it that way with the TFP method.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D