Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump

1. Back To Top    #1

New pump

I just bought a house that came with a pool. As soon as I turned the pump on it shorted out. I had to purchase a new pump and it seems like it's running a little hard, maybe even over loading? After a few minutes of running the pump shuts off and it won't turn back on. It's supper hot at touch and the psi gauge on the filter does not indicate any pressure.
    Can someone please help. What could be the problem?
    Could it be the filter?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pump

Hello and welcome to TFP! First thing we should verify .... is there any water moving through the pump/traveling through the pump's strainer basket? Is that basket full of water?

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

When you say that you had to replace the pump, did you replace the entire pump or just the motor? And if just the motor, are you sure you got the right size?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I replaced the entire thing and yes, I brought the old system with me to make sure I got the right one.

5. Back To Top    #5

There is water in the basket and there is water moving through it. I will fill my info asap

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey Texas Splash
    Yes there is water moving through the pump and the basket is full of water. I will fill in my info asap
    Hello mas985
    I Replaced the entire pump. I brought the old pump with me to make sure I got the right size.
    Thank you so much for all and any help

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like a bad pump, defective out of the box.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

The old owner of the house said the same thing.
    Does this happen a lot, motors coming bad straight out of the box?

9. Back To Top    #9

Not a lot but it does happen once in a while.

One thing to check is to make sure nothing got stuck in the impeller during setup or first run.
    Mark