DE in Sand Filter -> Do under normal conditions or only under special circumstances?

paulmaz

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
DE in Sand Filter -> Do under normal conditions or only under special circumstances?

Good afternoon,

So my pool is humming along, just trying to figure out pool filter timing and all, but my pool is clear and good to go. I have been reading up on Pool School just to make sure I am not missing anything, and read about putting DE into a Sand Filter. From what I understand is the small amount that gets put in will be removed when I backwash. I backwash about once a week normally, and more often in Spring when tree leaves/pollen falls.

Question. Should I be using DE in my filter now, under normal conditions? Or just if I have some cloudy water or an issue? I mean my pool is clear, but at night, when light is on, you can see small particles in the water. Not a big deal, but adding DE seems like a small task, so I am wondering if I should be doing it regularly.

thanks in advance!

Re: DE in Sand Filter -> Do under normal conditions or only under special circumstanc

Give it a shot and see if you like the results. It should help some even when you don't have a problem.

Re: DE in Sand Filter -> Do under normal conditions or only under special circumstanc

Are you sure you are not backwashing too often? You should do so when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Doing it more often will result in the filter not catching as much since it works best when a little dirty.

Are you sure you are not backwashing too often? You should do so when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Doing it more often will result in the filter not catching as much since it works best when a little dirty.

Maybe I am....I am still a rookie! Normal PSI is around 20. When the PSI goes over 30, water is barely moving. This spring, as the pollen was falling all over, I was backwashing almost daily. I backwashed last night, as it has been over 1.5 weeks since last one...pressure was low 20s. I thought was better to BW more often. Now that I know it works better when a little dirty, will let it go longer until PSI gets too high. Thanks!

Question on DE...as I don't even know what it looks like...if you pour it into the skimmer, does it get caught in the basket that is connected to the pump? Or is it really fine?

One thing, using DE in your filter is going to cause it to raise pressure even faster! This may not be something you wish to do. If you are happy with your water now, I wouldn't bother, because it sounds like your filter is undersized. Catching more stuff is just going to cause you to be backwashing even more. And FYI, it goes away when you backwash, so you'll be adding DE every time.

DE is powder fine. It goes into the sand.

Speaking of skimmers, you might want to try a skimmer sock to reduce what is going into the filter.

I run fiber clear in my filter. Right now with all the pollen in the air and stuff I've stopped using it. You might want to wait till pollen season is over.

Speaking of skimmers, you might want to try a skimmer sock to reduce what is going into the filter.

That's a great suggestion for the heavy pollen and seed times!

I would only use DE outside those times in your situation.

I use DE in my filter all summer long, but don't have the pollen issues you have in my pool.

as said a skimmer sock will grab a lot of that pollen. I only had to backwash once so far due to very heavy pollen a month ago.

if you do try DE make sure it's DE for pool filters, not food grade as that is different and will cloud the water up quick.

...because it sounds like your filter is undersized.

Is this because of the amount of times I backwash? Pump undersized? Filter undersized? I am new to this, so can you please elaborate?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Is this because of the amount of times I backwash? Pump undersized? Filter undersized? I am new to this, so can you please elaborate?

I only backwash maybe 4 times a year if I forget the skimmer sock, like I did this year. If you are needing to backwash weekly, that's a lot of backwashing. But, now I see you are at 1.5 months, and I also think a skimmer sock will help you a whole lot.

It is a filter thing, not pump.

Thanks Robbie. I know during pollen season (March-April )when leaves and pollen was falling hard from the dozens of tress in my backyard I had to do it often. But lately, I was just doing it often because that is what I thought I had to do....ends up not the case. Will only do when pressure is high. I just took ownership of this thing in early April, so still learning. Appreciate all the advice I have gotten in such a short time.

So do you guys recommend a particular skimmer sock? Saw some on Amazon, just not sure if there is a TFP recommended one.

A lot of people are buying boxes of hair nets from Amazon and using them in the skimmer. They are so cheap, they just pull them out and throw them away and put in a new one.

If your clean pressure is 20psi, try only backwashing when it rises to 25psi.

As far a filter size, for a 25k pool in TX, I would have suggested at least a 29" diameter filter ... yours is 24" which is 30% less filter area than a 29". So this means you may have to backwash a little more often.

Those hairnets are working great for me. Pollen just getting rolling up here.

Thanks Jason. When I bought this house with the pool, I knew nothing about anything about pools. I was told I had a very basic system, which is true. I can see myself over the next few years replacing the filter, and getting a VS motor. Don't have the cash at this point to do that.

If I did get a new setup, what would your recommendations be? I know a VS motor, would 1.5 HP be enough? Would I want the 30 inch diameter sand filter, or get a DE? If so, what size?

Also, when buying DE, I don't need much, so would I just got to Leslie's and get it? Is there good/bad DE? They have a 25lb. box for like $30.

Even a 1HP might be enough, but the smaller 1.5 hp VS pumps would work.

The bigger the filter the better. For DE, likely 60 sqft is the minimum.

Just make sure you get pool de. Some places sell smaller boxes.

I take a cup of DE and mix it with water in a bucket, and then pour it in skimmer slowly with pump running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.