Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor feeder options for variable speed pumps?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pacific NW

Trichlor feeder options for variable speed pumps?

I know the issues with Tricolor sanitizers but have been using them without issue for the last 9 years but want to switch over to a feeder vs floater with the new pool heater. Does anyone have any experiences using these with variable speed pumps as I've read some issues exist. Normally during filtration it runs at a lower speed but during the gas heater use and solar panel use it speeds up and I've read that can play havoc with them.

Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Dallas, TX

Re: Trichlor feeder options for variable speed pumps?

Why not upgrade to a salt system so you can solve two problems at once?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

I run my VS pump at 1100 rpm to skim, filter and make chlorine with the SWG. It uses 150 watts. At 10.25c/kWh I can run it 24x7 for 12 bucks a month. I run solar at 1950 rpm and it uses 550 watts. Been running like this for 4 years, works great!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Pretty straightforward math. If you increase your pump speed, you will increase your FC output by about the same percentage. Complicated if you are adding chlorine 3-4 times daily, for sure.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Newington, Connecticut

I had a new water in line which cane with the frog system. My vp pump ran 3800 rpm for 12 hrs a day. Of course this was a single speed so once I got it turned in it was great . Rainy days I would bump it up or down. Quit convenient. I was just unaware of the rising cya.
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.