Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on 12V Peristaltic Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Thoughts on 12V Peristaltic Pump

I have been chatting with poolfool1961 and have a question for anyone with experience with one of the 12V Peristaltic Pumps. I am wanting to install an auto chlorinator for my inground pool. My question is, does anyone know if the 12V pumps are capable of producing enough head pressure to inject the chlorine into the pressure or suction lines? poolfool1961 actually has his set up to drip into the pool but not sure how I could pull that one off having an inground pool. Just looking to see if anyone else has had experience with these smaller pumps. Not really in the position to pay $200 for a larger Stenner pump right now.
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thoughts on 12V Peristaltic Pump

Which pump in particular are you looking at? There are literally tons of metering pumps out there and without knowing which one you're looking at it's impossible to say if it'll work or not.

We also need to know how long you run your main pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

For most setups, you don't need any head pressure if you inject on the suction side. If fact, you don't even need a peristaltic pump.

Homemade Acid OR Chlorine Injection System

On the pressure though, you will need a pump. It just depends on the type of pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I was looking at the cheap (under $20) pumps on Amazon mostly ( Amazon.com: Homecube 12V DC Peristaltic Liquid Pump Miniature Dosing Pump Hose Pump for Aquarium Lab Analytical Water: Industrial Scientific ).

I am currently running my pool pump 24/7 as it does not have a timer. I eventually want to add a timer but that will probably be next year.

I am still learning all the terminology... Is the suction side before the pump or after? If before, will the added chlorine have a negative affect on the pump and filter?
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

5. Back To Top    #5

The suction side is where water enters the pump from either the skimmer or MD. Here, the pressure is lower than atmospheric so water will flow into the pump. You can take advantage of that fact and use the main pump as the injection pump so you don't need a secondary injection pump. And if you use it to add chlorine, as long as the injection rate is fairly slow, it will have no negative impact on the equipment because the effective rise if FC will only be a few ppm and no different than if you added the FC to the pool.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Generally no, the amount of chlorine added is relatively small and dissolves quickly. See Mas's thread above.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Makes since.. The only place I have to store the Chlorine out of the sun would be about 4 feet lower than my pump. Do you think it would have enough suction to draw the liquid up or does this method also use the results of gravity?

8. Back To Top    #8

It depends on how high the bucket will be relative to the pool water level and also if the pump would be running at full speed. Also, the head loss between the pump and the pool plays a role. But it is pretty easy to do an experiment to see if it will or not. You just need a bucket a hose line and the connector for the pump.
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

The bottom of the bucket will be about 3 feet below the top of the water. I will have experiment like you mentioned.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm starting to look at doing the same, but was planning on putting the injection on the return/pressure side. Am I right in reading that the recommendation is the suction side? Would one of those cheap $20 fishtank pumps be able to inject on the pressure side?
    77000L (20500 gallon) vinyl in-ground chlorine double roman pool, 35'x17', Hayward SP3200VSP, Jandy Lite2 LJ400N heater, Hayward S244TC filter, *deleted* Hayward chlorinator, Taylor CK1004FAS+CYA

11. Back To Top    #11

Would one of those cheap $20 fishtank pumps be able to inject on the pressure side?
    Those are pretty low head pumps so it might work only if you inject when the VS pump runs at very low speed. Then the pressure is low enough so the injection pump does not have to overcome as much pressure.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

I kind of wish I'd seen this before I ordered my Stenner pump from Locke. Amazon would have actually gotten me the dang thing in a reasonable amount of time.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    I kind of wish I'd seen this before I ordered my Stenner pump from Locke. Amazon would have actually gotten me the dang thing in a reasonable amount of time.
    Did you order the 12V or the larger pump? I have not broken down to give this a try.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5438 View Post
    Did you order the 12V or the larger pump? I have not broken down to give this a try.
    I ordered a 45MPHP10 wired for 12v. I'm anxious to use it, as I'm sure it'll do the job I want without a problem, as it has for others here. But i placed my order on 5/23 late at night. My order shipped on 5/26, which is faster than I've heard some others have shipped from Locke. My shipment via Fedex home was supposed to be here Saturday by 8pm. On Saturday at exactly 8pm the Fedex tracking paged changed to say it didn't have a scheduled delivery date. I called today and Fedex told me they should that it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, June 1st. We'll see, I have nearly zero faith in Fedex, especially their home service.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl

15. Back To Top    #15

Do mean the 45MPHP10 wired for 120v (not 12v)?.

Just checked their site. Any reason you didn't d the 44mphp22

Iwould love to hear about about results when installed. May splurge on the better pump
    77000L (20500 gallon) vinyl in-ground chlorine double roman pool, 35'x17', Hayward SP3200VSP, Jandy Lite2 LJ400N heater, Hayward S244TC filter, *deleted* Hayward chlorinator, Taylor CK1004FAS+CYA

16. Back To Top    #16

Those 12V pumps look great. You may need to rig up some sort of dry box to keep it and the power supply (or battery) out of the weather.
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by benjydog View Post
    Do mean the 45MPHP10 wired for 120v (not 12v)?.

Just checked their site. Any reason you didn't d the 44mphp22

Iwould love to hear about about results when installed. May splurge on the better pump
    oops, I meant 120volt. My pool pump is 120 volt and that's all I've got at my pad, so that's what I'm running my stenner off of as well. I'll get the pump tomorrow. Hope to have it set up by the weekend at the latest. I'm already tired of pouring chlorine in all the time manually.

I got the 10gpd because the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be better to slowly put smaller amounts of chlorine out throughout the day, rather than all of the chlorine I needed in one run of the pump. I figure I'll be feeding roughly half a gallon of bleach a day, which should take about 72 minutes at 10gpd. I run my pool pump for 2 hours 3 times a day. I'll run the stenner about 24 minutes during each cycle. If I had gotten the 22gpd per day, it would have put out all the chlorine I needed in 11 minutes. But also, if I decide I want to do 22gpd, all it takes is a swap for a larger tube.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks for the info.. All I am concerned about is the 12V version having enough head pressure to feed the return side of the pipe. I know the 120V will work with no issues but dropping the cash for that is a little hard to do right now.

19. Back To Top    #19

Are talking about the fish tank versions or another pump? Post a link to the pump.
    Mark

20. Back To Top    #20

I am talking about the 12V version (fish pump).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast