Body water can't get it to clear up should I SLAM

rolo918

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2015
Macomb mi
I open the pool on Saturday I dumped 4 gallons of chlorine it was green
On Sunday I dumped in eight more gallons and on Monday I dumped another eight more gallons and I'm still not clear should I slam

Blindly dumping massive amount of chlorine into the pool is not the way to clear it. While it may eventually work, you risk staining/bleaching the pool, possibility damaging equipment and surly you are going to waste money/chlorine not controlling the amounts uses.. This is the main difference between TFP and pool store recommendations.

As Robbie points out, you need to be able to accurately measure the current state of the pool to determine what needs to be added. We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Do you have a test kit and if so which one ??
At the very least getting numbers from a pool store will help. Not very reliable but at least we'd have something to work with.

:testresults:

OK, so, using PoolMath, enter your pool size, type, and choose troublefreepool as your goal levels. Enter your CYA and FC, and then your goals. PoolMath will tell you your proper SLAM level is 10. I prefer shooting a little over that, but I'll leave that open for discussion. 12 is probably plenty. Now you'll need to hold that...

Heck, here's the link on how to SLAM.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

And here's the link for PoolMath
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.