Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Body water can't get it to clear up should I SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Body water can't get it to clear up should I SLAM

I open the pool on Saturday I dumped 4 gallons of chlorine it was green
    On Sunday I dumped in eight more gallons and on Monday I dumped another eight more gallons and I'm still not clear should I slam
    Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.http://tftestkits.net.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Body water can't get it to clear up should I SLAM

Yep

You need to be able to accurately measure your pool chem levels though!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Blindly dumping massive amount of chlorine into the pool is not the way to clear it. While it may eventually work, you risk staining/bleaching the pool, possibility damaging equipment and surly you are going to waste money/chlorine not controlling the amounts uses.. This is the main difference between TFP and pool store recommendations.

As Robbie points out, you need to be able to accurately measure the current state of the pool to determine what needs to be added. We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Do you have a test kit and if so which one ??
    At the very least getting numbers from a pool store will help. Not very reliable but at least we'd have something to work with.

'70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a TF1000 and a color Q

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you have a TF-100, you can post accurate levels. Can you please post your current complete test results? At minimum, CYA and FC will be needed.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Cya 20
    FC 0

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, so, using PoolMath, enter your pool size, type, and choose troublefreepool as your goal levels. Enter your CYA and FC, and then your goals. PoolMath will tell you your proper SLAM level is 10. I prefer shooting a little over that, but I'll leave that open for discussion. 12 is probably plenty. Now you'll need to hold that...

Heck, here's the link on how to SLAM.
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

And here's the link for PoolMath
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html