Best Solar Heater for Canadian climate?

tlevy

Jun 3, 2015
Ottawa/Ontario
Hi folks

Looking for any comments, suggestions, tips, insight and anything else that comes to mind for a solar hot water system for our pool? I need to find one that is available in Ontario Canada...i am very green on what the best and worst brands etc...any help would be appreciated!

Right now we have a propane heater (Hayward), but I am too keen to use it to raise my pool temp from the 51 it is right now using propane alone...

Cheers all
Tom

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

The question is also are you looking to increase your peak summer temperature or are you looking at extending your swim season, if extending swim season, then the question is by how much. I find that my traditional unglazed Techno-Solis panels provide positive heat input as long as the daytime high is within about 20 degrees F of the desired pool temperature.

p.s. Glazed panels or evacuated tube system only out perform glazed panels when the temperature difference between pool temperature and daytime temperature is more than 20 degrees F. Also glazed or evacuated tube panels are far LESS efficient per sq ft, so it takes more of them to achieve the same number of BTU's when the pool temperature is within 20 degrees of the daytime temperature. In other words the traditional black plastic mat pool solar panels are best when you have daytime temperatures in the 60's or above.

The question is also are you looking to increase your peak summer temperature or are you looking at extending your swim season, if extending swim season, then the question is by how much. I find that my traditional unglazed Techno-Solis panels provide positive heat input as long as the daytime high is within about 20 degrees F of the desired pool temperature.

p.s. Glazed panels or evacuated tube system only out perform glazed panels when the temperature difference between pool temperature and daytime temperature is more than 20 degrees F. Also glazed or evacuated tube panels are far LESS efficient per sq ft, so it takes more of them to achieve the same number of BTU's when the pool temperature is within 20 degrees of the daytime temperature. In other words the traditional black plastic mat pool solar panels are best when you have daytime temperatures in the 60's or above.

Extending season...

Techno-Solis seems to pop up alot...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.