3 week vacation later in summer - advise on how to handle pool while gone?

bgray9

Bronze Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
Mesa, AZ
So, we're taking a 3 week vacation later this summer, getting out of Phoenix and seeing some family, etc. I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle the pool. I don't have anyone to check the pool on a daily basis, but probably could have someone come by once a week to throw in some chemicals. Given that it's monsoon season at that time in AZ and we have some neighboring trees that like to drop leaves and stuff in our pool, I'm concerned with leaving the pump going while I'm gone and having the skimmer and leaf catcher in the cleaner line be totally clogged so it can't run properly and burn out the pump or something. But I don't like the idea of not having it run for three weeks, just not sure I have a choice. Could I get away with using a few pucks (CYA is fairly low now) in a floater and having someone throw in a good bit of chlorine once a week and not having it be a total disaster? I'd appreciate any input/suggestions. Thanks.

A cover of some kind would be very helpful in keeping the leaves out of the pool and skimmers as well as preserve some of your FC. Other than that, you have a fairly good plan with some trichlor pucks, someone to check the skimmers a couple times a week, maybe a basic color block test for FC if they can handle it.

A cover is probably a good idea and would allow us to keep the pump running. Any ideas on where to buy a decent quality cover inexpensively. We probably wouldn't use the cover other than when we're on vacation so it won't get a lot of use.

Do you have a bottom drain? Our skimmers get clogged all the time by trees. We set the suction valve to about 80% skimmer and 20% bottom drain so the pump can always get water.

If your PH rises lower it to 7.2. And raise your FC to shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

I am in the same situation - keeping my CYA low now so I can use pucks later. I have an in-line chlor, my plan is to clean and balance the pool the day before, then raise the pool to SLAM level with bleach, drop as many tabs as will fit in my in-line chlor (I think 5), set the in-line chlor on setting 2 (of 5), and put on my solar cover.

A cheap cover is on the way. So I guess for pH, there's not much to do other than drop it down fairly low and then deal with the high pH when we get home? Ours trends upward and would probably be quite high after three weeks of no muratic acid.

A cheap cover is on the way. So I guess for pH, there's not much to do other than drop it down fairly low and then deal with the high pH when we get home? Ours trends upward and would probably be quite high after three weeks of no muratic acid.

Rather than dropping your pH aggressively (it just comes up faster the lower you go), you'd be better off dropping your TA aggressively as that is the source of pH rise. Adding borates will also help keep high pH under control (and act as a mild algae inhibitor). pH rise is not linear, but self-limiting. A pool will roughly rise up to about a pH of 8.5 or so and stop there for a long time. So if you aggressively manage your TA (and assuming your CH isn't off the charts), you can get away without having to add acid for your vacation. Even a weekly dose to drop it down to 7.6 will be fine.

Rather than dropping your pH aggressively (it just comes up faster the lower you go), you'd be better off dropping your TA aggressively as that is the source of pH rise. Adding borates will also help keep high pH under control (and act as a mild algae inhibitor). pH rise is not linear, but self-limiting. A pool will roughly rise up to about a pH of 8.5 or so and stop there for a long time. So if you aggressively manage your TA (and assuming your CH isn't off the charts), you can get away without having to add acid for your vacation. Even a weekly dose to drop it down to 7.6 will be fine.

Very much this. Are you having issues with pH rise currently? What is your TA?

I work away from home on a 7/7 rotation so I go thru this weekly, I'I usually load my in line chlorinator with pucks the day before I leave and bring the pool up to shock level with bleach while lowering my PH to 7.2 By the time I get home the next week my Ph is usually in the 7.6 range and chlorine is never low. My wife and kids use the pool routinely while I'm gone but my wife refuses to learn how to handle the chemical balance so I'm left with no choice but to use pucks every other week until I decide to spend the money an a SWG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very much this. Are you having issues with pH rise currently? What is your TA?
My pH rises gradually, with me adding a bit of muratic acid maybe once a week. I'm not that worried about it generally, but I'd expect it to be pretty high after three weeks, absent someone possibly coming by to add a bit of muratic acid once a week. TA is around 50 to 60.

Another question. If I have someone come by once a week to put in a bit of chlorine and muratic acid, is there any problem with adding both to the pool at the same time (not the same moment of course, but within a few minutes of each other)? Thanks.

It's better to let one mix a little before adding the other. If you have 2+ returns, you could add them at different returns with less wait time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.