MY TF-100 Cl check is orange?

Apr 14, 2008
Just opened the pool. Temp is in the 50's, but want plenty of time to get chemistry set.

Had a slight algae plume, not as bad as last year. Put in 4 182 oz jugs of bleach once I got the pump running. Waited 2 hours and wet to test the Cl with the Taylor in the TF-100. It turned orange instead of yellow. I did it two more times with the same results. Have the dropper chemicals gone bad?

Thanks!

Go wings!!

I concur, when killing algae you need to test high FC levels which is what the FAS-DPD test is made to do. The OTO test that you used is really for a quick daily check to see if you have chlorine in the pool or not.

Did the full test last night.

FC 7
CC 0
TA 50
Ph ~7.4
CYA 25

I know I need to get CYA up. What causes it to go down (I did drain a foot out at closing and it is back to normal level) other than dilution?

CYA levels go down any time there is water replacement and they also go down sometimes, but not always, over the winter when FC falls to zero. Water replacement can be splash out from swimming, rain raising the level too high so the pool drains either automatically or manually, the partial drain you do when winterizing, etc. Evaporation does not cause CYA to go down.

JasonLion said:
CYA levels go down any time there is water replacement and they also go down sometimes, but not always, over the winter when FC falls to zero. Water replacement can be splash out from swimming, rain raising the level too high so the pool drains either automatically or manually, the partial drain you do when winterizing, etc. Evaporation does not cause CYA to go down.

Ok, got it. I just hate adding CYA as it takes FOREVER!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.