Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: MY TF-100 Cl check is orange?

1. Back To Top    #1

MY TF-100 Cl check is orange?

Just opened the pool. Temp is in the 50's, but want plenty of time to get chemistry set.

Had a slight algae plume, not as bad as last year. Put in 4 182 oz jugs of bleach once I got the pump running. Waited 2 hours and wet to test the Cl with the Taylor in the TF-100. It turned orange instead of yellow. I did it two more times with the same results. Have the dropper chemicals gone bad?

Thanks!

Go wings!!
    30,000 gallon vinyl / Starite pump, Sys 2 cartridge, Max-E-Therm 333k heater / Bioguard SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: MY TF-100 Cl check is orange?

Have the dropper chemicals gone bad?
    It soundes like you simply have a lot of chlorine in the pool. Do the FAS/DPD chlorine test (with the powder) to find out just how much.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

At high chlorine levels the OTO test will turn orange to brown. This is normal and can be useful.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!

I will wait for tomorrow and recheck with some good pump runtime.
    30,000 gallon vinyl / Starite pump, Sys 2 cartridge, Max-E-Therm 333k heater / Bioguard SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 19redwings
    Thanks!

I will wait for tomorrow and recheck with some good pump runtime.
    Okay, but check with the FAS-DPD test instead.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I concur, when killing algae you need to test high FC levels which is what the FAS-DPD test is made to do. The OTO test that you used is really for a quick daily check to see if you have chlorine in the pool or not.

7. Back To Top    #7

Did the full test last night.

FC 7
    CC 0
    TA 50
    Ph ~7.4
    CYA 25

I know I need to get CYA up. What causes it to go down (I did drain a foot out at closing and it is back to normal level) other than dilution?

8. Back To Top    #8

CYA levels go down any time there is water replacement and they also go down sometimes, but not always, over the winter when FC falls to zero. Water replacement can be splash out from swimming, rain raising the level too high so the pool drains either automatically or manually, the partial drain you do when winterizing, etc. Evaporation does not cause CYA to go down.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    CYA levels go down any time there is water replacement and they also go down sometimes, but not always, over the winter when FC falls to zero. Water replacement can be splash out from swimming, rain raising the level too high so the pool drains either automatically or manually, the partial drain you do when winterizing, etc. Evaporation does not cause CYA to go down.
    Ok, got it. I just hate adding CYA as it takes FOREVER!!!!