Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising CYA

Hello all - I used the TFP method and testing last summer after a friend recommended this place with great success. This year, after a lot of rain and evaporation, it seems like my CYA level has dropped from the 60's last year to at least under 30 this year. All numbers are below.

Question - before I found this place, I bought a ton of chemicals recommended initially by the pool store that I still have in the garage (Cal Hypo shock and the chlorine pucks), and I'm wondering if I can make use of them now to raise the CYA and keep chlorine at normal levels.

FC - 4
    CC - 0
    PH 7.5
    CH 240
    TA 80
    CYA <30

Thanks
    Chris H. Dallas TX
    14,000 gallon IG, pebbletec pool, 425 gallon IG spa (no heater yet)
    Hayward 1HP pump, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising CYA

Welcome to TFP!!

What is your target CYA? How do you normally chlorinate?

The CalHypo won't help as it adds calcium, not CYA. But, you could be using that to chlorinate as your CH is low for a pebbletec pool.

The tabs will slowly increase your CYA. Each tab will release 2.4ppm CYA in your pool when it is fully dissolved..

To be honest, that is what I'm doing now. I needed my CYA up about 15 due to our wet winter, so I have been floating tabs to slowly bring it up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Normally chlorinate using liquid bleach. Target CYA would be within the normal range, which looks to be 30-60.
    Chris H. Dallas TX

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Understanding what is in chemicals and managing your chemistry is the key to TFPC. It is fine to use any of those products as long as you chemistry stays in line. Use Poolmath Effects of adding chemicals at the bottom to see what each adds to your water. Be sure to enter gallons at the top.

More here about what is in pool chemicals
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

You say your CYA is greater than 30. 30-40 is a good range, especially at this time of year. When chlorinating with bleach, I would not go over 40.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1010 View Post
    Normally chlorinate using liquid bleach. Target CYA would be within the normal range, which looks to be 30-60.
    If your CYA is just under 30, then floating a tab or two will be the perfect way to fine tune it in the 30 - 40 range you want to be. Once dissolved, four 8oz tabs should bring your CYA up jus tunder 10 points.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

mookie1010 - thank you for starting this thread. I was literally was going to start this same subject. As I tested all my levels yesterday and was surprised at CYA.

FC - 4
    CC - 0
    PH 7.5
    CH 300
    TA 100
    CYA 25

So.. RobbieH says not to go over 40 on CYA. I plan to put 2 pucks in the floater and see what happen over a week. Is this okay since my CH is @ 300??
    15,000 IG Plaster Triton II TR100 Sand Filter Has a gas heater but not using it.
    MAX-FLO VS SP2302VSP 1970's pool Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD
    1 skimmer and two 'main drains' via reverse plumbed caretaker lines. -Someone incapacited the real main drain.

8. Back To Top    #8

Pucks do not affect CH, only CYA and FC.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Awesome! Thanks..
    15,000 IG Plaster Triton II TR100 Sand Filter Has a gas heater but not using it.
    MAX-FLO VS SP2302VSP 1970's pool Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD
    1 skimmer and two 'main drains' via reverse plumbed caretaker lines. -Someone incapacited the real main drain.

10. Back To Top    #10

To be clear, there are SOME pucks that are CalHypo, but I hardly ever see anyone with them. Most are trichlor.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    You say your CYA is greater than 30. 30-40 is a good range, especially at this time of year. When chlorinating with bleach, I would not go over 40.
    That should be less than 30.
    Chris H. Dallas TX

12. Back To Top    #12

The CYA test can be difficult to read. The 50ppm sample is designed to calibrate your eyes and teach you how to read the test. Here are some reference photos for the CYA test.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

FWIW, as I mentioned briefly above, I used the TFP method all last year and understand the methods - I've read all the links provided. Last summer, CYA tested very consistently in the 60-70 range, which was on the high side, but once I developed my rhythm with chlorine additions each morning, things went swimmingly (HA!) all summer. This year, we've been getting lots of rain and evaporation, and both my CYA tests were under 30, which I believe to be true.

The reason I asked the question was that I knew the pucks added CYA, but I hadn't been able to find how much, or if there were other risks associated with using them. I'll dissolve 4 in there this week and test again next week to see where that lands me.

Thanks for the advice and help.
    Chris H. Dallas TX

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1010 View Post
    The reason I asked the question was that I knew the pucks added CYA, but I hadn't been able to find how much, or if there were other risks associated with using them.
    That is the nice thing about Pool Math Once you plug in your pool volume there is a calculator at the bottom to show the effects of adding different things to the water. I got the number above by using your volume and looking at the results of adding 8oz (3" TriChlor pucks are usually 8oz) of TriChlor.

It looks like this:

PoolMathEffects.JPG

You can select almost anything TFP would normally advise to use in your pool to see what effect it will have on your water.

15. Back To Top    #15

At the bottom of Poolmath is a section called effects of adding chemicals. Enter your gallons up top and info and it will tell you what will be added to the pool.
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    That is the nice thing about Pool Math Once you plug in your pool volume there is a calculator at the bottom to show the effects of adding different things to the water. I got the number above by using your volume and looking at the results of adding 8oz (3" TriChlor pucks are usually 8oz) of TriChlor.

It looks like this:

PoolMathEffects.JPG

You can select almost anything TFP would normally advise to use in your pool to see what effect it will have on your water.
    Aha - I guess I never made it down that far. Thanks.
    Chris H. Dallas TX