Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain pool and leave empty before refinishing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain pool and leave empty before refinishing?

In Arizona and need to refinish plaster pool. Plaster is in bad shape and probably really old. Going with pebblectec.

Also not going to be using the pool till next season due to travels. So was wondering if there would be any problem with draining it now and then refinishing next April in time for the pool season.

Thanks for your time.
    Inground Concrete/Plaster Diving Pool, 17X30 ft, 20k gallons, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 5 returns,
    1 HP (SF 1.25) STARITE SINGLE SPEED, 2-Speed, 1 HP Pentair Superflo (not yet installed!) Hayward Sandfilter 3.14 ft.ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain pool and leave empty before refinishing?

Pick your plaster guy, then have them come drill the shell so it won't float out.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks RObbie, good to know...I was actually not even thinking of pool floating up, I read that the water table here in AZ is at 600 ft! I was more concerned if the sun exposure could do damage to the gunite somehow...
    Inground Concrete/Plaster Diving Pool, 17X30 ft, 20k gallons, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 5 returns,
    1 HP (SF 1.25) STARITE SINGLE SPEED, 2-Speed, 1 HP Pentair Superflo (not yet installed!) Hayward Sandfilter 3.14 ft.ft

4. Back To Top    #4

Sun won't hurt it. Even if the water table is low, I'd be scared.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Not worth the risk.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

THanks Borjis, are you referring to the risk of floating up?