Hayward VSP did not come on this morning

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

Have a Hayward SP-3400-VSP and it did not come on this morning per normal program. [8-4 daily]. Installed Feb 2015 by PB.

The remote display showed that both the pool icon and pump/filter icon were on, but it also said "check system or system error".

I went out to the panel and checked to see if the pump breaker was on and it was. I turned off the pump/filter at panel. I flipped the pump breaker off, then back on, then turned on the pump/filter at the panel. The pump made about a 1 second "grunt-grind sound" and that's it. Turned off and tried it again and the same thing. I then just turned off the pump/filter.

There is nothing of size in the pump strainer basket and both skimmer baskets were almost empty.

I called my PB and they referred me to a Hayward Rep...they are coming out tomorrow sometime. Any ideas or suggestions on the problem and/or what I can do?

Lastly, I have the Hayward Super II [1.5HP] Pump for my 2 scuppers. Could I run this for a bit to keep pool water circulating? I have not added my liq CL yet, so is it ok to do so w this pump?

Thank you for your advice,
tstex

even without the pump, you can add chlorine and brush the pool and move the water around to mix the chlorine in :)

Is there a way/correct process to see if something is blocking the impeller or other?

I checked the Hayward VSP Troubleshooting Guide and it said if it hums, something is blocking the impeller. But this is not a hum, it's a very quick grind-sound that does not last long, then nothing else?

Thank you, tstex

NOTE: The pump display stated: DRIVE ERROR; "Drv Failed to Start" Also, here is Hayward's Troubleshooting guide error codes:

Drive Error! Drive failed to start:

Indicates that the drive was not able to start the motor. Check impeller, diffuser, shaft seal, and motor for issues. Motor connections to drive should be verified. Drive will attempt to start the motor 3 times before pump stall error is displayed.

Does this help?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.