Constantly adjusting SWG %

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
Still figuring out this whole pool ownership thing... I test for chlorine and pH daily. As the pool is new I'm still having to add MA daily. With my CYA of 70 I'm trying to keep my FC right at 5. Right now it seems to bounce around every few days which means I have to adjust the % on the SWG. Last week the FC got up to 7.5 so I turned down the SWG a bit and last night I was down to 4.5. Is it normal to have to make frequent adjustments to the % on the SWG? Currently my pump is running 8 hours per day and the SWG runs at the same time.

FC is impacted by a variety of factors - water temperature, organics in the pool (bugs, leaves, etc.), amount of sun on the pool, bather load, etc. So, FC will fluctuate some. But, you should be able to get it stable enough so that you only need to do weekly checks.

This time of year is tricky with rising temps, increasing sun, more rain cooling the pool, etc. The MOST important number is minimum, Chlorine CYA Chart. You want to make sure FC never drops below minimum or the pool will be u sanitary and algae can grow. It is fine to be above target a few PPM to make sure this doesn't happen. It is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA.

This time of year is tricky with rising temps, increasing sun, more rain cooling the pool, etc. The MOST important number is minimum, Chlorine CYA Chart. You want to make sure FC never drops below minimum or the pool will be u sanitary and algae can grow. It is fine to be above target a few PPM to make sure this doesn't happen. It is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA.

Ok thanks. I won't worry so much when it creeps up and just leave it alone. My OCD like to have me mess with things ;)

Yeah, our pool is jumping between 83 and 74. Solar is great! We are 85° water people. Although, I am in 83° water right now and no complaints! But, it is only 88° outside so it is good. Our pool went from 74 on sunday to 83 right now.

You will get a little finer adjustment by adjusting run time, either leave on the lower setting and increase run time by 1 hour or leave it on the higher setting and reduce run time by 1 hour
test various run times until you get less of a swing.

Then as the summer comes you'll need to do it all over again as the increased Sun/UV depletes more FC during the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.