Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello & Pool Light Tripping GFCI

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello & Pool Light Tripping GFCI

I recently had a very similar issue and found this thread to be most applicable to my scenario. Pool Light Tripping GFCI - Page 2

Basically, the light would not turn on, so I pulled it up, bought a new bulb, tested it and reinstalled. Then later that night the bulb appeared to work but turned off minutes later, this time I noticed it tripped the GFCI. Again I pulled the light up and made sure the bulb was seated, tested and reinstalled. That night, again the GFCI tripped. I replaced the GFCI, checked the Junction Box and still tripped the GFCI every time I flipped the light switch. It turns out, there was a minute leak where the cable met the bulb fixture, and this was drying out when I was pulling up the light (hence why it would temporarily work then trip the GFCI). I applied some waterproof silicone to this area (after ensuring it was dry and working) and the lights now works as expected.

Moderator comment: This post was separated out from the older thread

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Hello & Pool Light Tripping GFCI

Welcome to TFP!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW PA

Re: Hello & Pool Light Tripping GFCI

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter