Chlorine Test During Slam

wkusae31

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Lexington, KY
Hey Everyone. I've just opened my pool and I have 0 FC so I am doing a SLAM. This is my first SLAM. Since I have 0 FC and I'm guessing at the size of my pool, I added what I thought was the right amount of bleach to get my FC to 10 (my CYA was around 20 so FC at 10 is my shock). I tested my chlorine level after about 10 minutes and I was at 7.5. How long should I wait to test my chlorine level after I put bleach in it? I didn't know if my FC = 7.5 was a false result, if I did not wait long enough.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hey Everyone. I've just opened my pool and I have 0 FC so I am doing a SLAM. This is my first SLAM. Since I have 0 FC and I'm guessing at the size of my pool, I added what I thought was the right amount of bleach to get my FC to 10 (my CYA was around 20 so FC at 10 is my shock). I tested my chlorine level after about 10 minutes and I was at 7.5. How long should I wait to test my chlorine level after I put bleach in it? I didn't know if my FC = 7.5 was a false result, if I did not wait long enough.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
If the water is green and murky, that's probably an accurate result. FC will get used up almost as fast as you can pour bleach in.

Typically, letting the pump run and making a lap around the pool brushing will get things mixed as well as they'll ever mix and it would be safe to retest then.

What he said!

I recommend running the filter too, but on recirculate at first. Live algae clogs up faster than dead algae. If you're not going to be home to monitor the pressure and backwash as needed, then I would run it on recirculate.

Thanks for the responses. Prior to posting this thread, I had dumped another gallon of bleach into the pool. After I posted this initial thread, I tested and my FC was 14 (which was the FC number for the amount of bleach I had used). It's strange to have gone from 7.5 to 14 from 1 gallon based on my size of the pool.

As for the filter, I'm a little uncertain. I think it runs as long as my pump is running?

Did you remember to divide in half?

Filter only filters if the pump is running. There is a multiport valve that has different settings - recirculate is one of them.

Yep. I divided in half. The pink was significantly more pink when I added the last gallon.

Ok. I just have the filter running on the filter function. I have the pump running 24/7 during this SLAM. I probably need to vacuum out the pool again today so I will put that on waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.