Salt reading

rdy2fly

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
Wichita KS
According to my Intex SWG manual, for my pool I needed to add 4 bags of 40lb salt, which I did Sunday night (Morton Solar Salt). I don't see it at the bottom of the pool anymore so I'm assuming it is dissolved as it should be. My pump has been running 24 hours a day right now, and when I measured the salt reading last night with my TF-100 kit it only showed 1200ppm. It had rained a couple of hours prior to testing, so I tested it again this morning and I got 1600ppm.
Pool math shows that if my starting level was 0, to get to 3400ppm I need about 4 1/2 bags of salt. I am just at a loss as to why my readings are so low. I hate to just dump another 3 bags in there, then have the problem of having too much salt. Is it normal for the salt readings to "creep up"?

Thanks so much. We got into the pool for the first time tonight, and afterwards I tested everything again and salt was at 3000ppm, exactly where it should be! Thanks to you I didn't go out and put more salt in!

If salt is just dumped in without brushing, it can sit on the bottom of a pool for days even with the pump running. Even as it dissolves, you can get a very concentrated layer of dissloved salt sitting in a layer near the bottom. In some cases, you can actually see the salt layer because it has a different refractive index.

Brushing helps a lot. A main drain helps. Vacuuming or running a cleaner helps. Pointing a return towards the bottom can also help.

I add salt by slowly pouring it in while walking around the pool. I find that by the time I make a lap it is mostly dissolved before I even start to brush.

If you make a pile it will certainly take longer. Now I just let my kids play with the salt when I need to add some. Might try to hold of until next weekend during a birthday party.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.