Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt reading

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt reading

According to my Intex SWG manual, for my pool I needed to add 4 bags of 40lb salt, which I did Sunday night (Morton Solar Salt). I don't see it at the bottom of the pool anymore so I'm assuming it is dissolved as it should be. My pump has been running 24 hours a day right now, and when I measured the salt reading last night with my TF-100 kit it only showed 1200ppm. It had rained a couple of hours prior to testing, so I tested it again this morning and I got 1600ppm.
    Pool math shows that if my starting level was 0, to get to 3400ppm I need about 4 1/2 bags of salt. I am just at a loss as to why my readings are so low. I hate to just dump another 3 bags in there, then have the problem of having too much salt. Is it normal for the salt readings to "creep up"?
    Coleman 18'x48' AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 2800GPH
    Intex SWG
    **Under Construction** :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt reading

Don't add more salt. Brush the pool to help it dissolve faster and give it another day or two.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much. We got into the pool for the first time tonight, and afterwards I tested everything again and salt was at 3000ppm, exactly where it should be! Thanks to you I didn't go out and put more salt in!
    Coleman 18'x48' AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 2800GPH
    Intex SWG
    **Under Construction** :)

4. Back To Top    #4

If salt is just dumped in without brushing, it can sit on the bottom of a pool for days even with the pump running. Even as it dissolves, you can get a very concentrated layer of dissloved salt sitting in a layer near the bottom. In some cases, you can actually see the salt layer because it has a different refractive index.

Brushing helps a lot. A main drain helps. Vacuuming or running a cleaner helps. Pointing a return towards the bottom can also help.

5. Back To Top    #5

I add salt by slowly pouring it in while walking around the pool. I find that by the time I make a lap it is mostly dissolved before I even start to brush.

If you make a pile it will certainly take longer. Now I just let my kids play with the salt when I need to add some. Might try to hold of until next weekend during a birthday party.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!