High pH Issue

Bal

Jun 18, 2013
Well I am servicing my own inground pool (~30,000 gal) for the first time this year. Following the TFP method and got the pool up and running, SLAMed it and the water beautiful. TA at ~110, FC 7, CYA 60 ...

except..

My pH is literally off the charts >8.2

We had the pool refurbished (piping, deck, pebblesheen, etc) last year and it was only open about 30 days before the winter close. Had the pool company close it. Fast forward to this year, I assume the new plaster spiked my pH and when I did the initial test I guess the pool was not well mixed with the added water. I did the pH test a lot earlier than the other standard tests, won't do that again.
SLAM worked well regardless.

But my pH is staying above the 8.2 indicator. Already added 2 gal of ~25% acid, and half a gal of 34.6%. Literally no impact on pH.

Is my path here to keep adding acid 1/3 gal of 34.6% at a time (44 oz moves 8.2 to 7.5) until i see an impact and can calculate the required amount? Just checking my approach with those more knowledgeable. Any other causes that could be driving it up I should check for?

Thanks

Well I am servicing my own inground pool (~30,000 gal) for the first time this year. Following the TFP method and got the pool up and running, SLAMed it and the water beautiful. TA at ~110, FC 7, CYA 60 ...

except..

My pH is literally off the charts >8.2

We had the pool refurbished (piping, deck, pebblesheen, etc) last year and it was only open about 30 days before the winter close. Had the pool company close it. Fast forward to this year, I assume the new plaster spiked my pH and when I did the initial test I guess the pool was not well mixed with the added water. I did the pH test a lot earlier than the other standard tests, won't do that again.
SLAM worked well regardless.

But my pH is staying above the 8.2 indicator. Already added 2 gal of ~25% acid, and half a gal of 34.6%. Literally no impact on pH.

Is my path here to keep adding acid 1/3 gal of 34.6% at a time (44 oz moves 8.2 to 7.5) until i see an impact and can calculate the required amount? Just checking my approach with those more knowledgeable. Any other causes that could be driving it up I should check for?

Thanks
Hold on a second... what's the FC level? If it's still above 10, then your pH reading is going to be whacked.
Check out the pictures. Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?

If your FC is truly 7ppm would say yes keep adding till you get it in range. My pool is almost 1/3 the size of yours, filled in late Oct and I am still going through approx 7oz a day of 31%. You could be driving it up if you have something causing aeration such as a water fall or SWG but the why is somewhat irrelevant you still want it in range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.