Grateful from South Florida

Apr 16, 2016
Miami, Fl
Hi, My pool was a green swamp and in the past I had shelled something like $200 to have it cleaned by pool companies. This time, armed with the knowledge gleaned from these pages, I got it crystal clear by myself. Even my wife is impressed :p. I also ordered a Taylor K-2006 kit and can easily do the analysis by myself.

So here is my problem: I had 0.6 ppm CC and 2 ppm FC but CYA was off the chart -- after doing 1:1 dilution, I determined by CYA was in 115-120 ppm range. So, as a stop gap I jacked up FC and measured it yesterday at 9 ppm and CC <0.5 ppm (turned colorless in 1 drop with a 10 ml water sample)
pH = 7.5
TA = 90 ppm (but not corrected for CYA)
Ca hardness = 290 ppm.

I tried to create a signature but keep on getting error message. So here are the details of my pool:

open air, 30 ft X 15 ft rectangular inground plaster pool, Hayward CX 1750 RE cartridge, Hayward SP2600VSP pump.

So, eventually I need to replace 2/3rd of my pool and replace that with fresh water. I have well water but after reading horror stories about emptying a large part of the pool, I am hesitant to try it myself, at least not in one go. I am planning to empty the pool a little (may be 1/4th at a time) and direct rainwater spout to refill the emptied portion. Is that a good idea? This might need balancing the pool water every time.
So, I need your advice: a. should I just go on keeping high FC (12 ppm or so) and live with the high CYA b. replace the pool water at one go with my well water and then balance the pool or c. get a professional company to replace the water. Any idea how much that costs?

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I'm glad you have found our information helpful and have saved money over the pool store and their sales, please consider making a donation to TFP.

We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donation are what keep the electrons flowing.

Welcome to TFP!

Nice work taking care of your pool! I would only drain to lower your CYA down to 70-80, that will be manageable enough and with the sun you get there in miami you might need your CYA that high anyway to protect your FC. So, maybe only 1/3 drain.

TFP software seems to be acting up a little this morning, that is probably the issue with creating your sig. It should be fine a little later.

For me the real issue is that the PH test is only good up to 10 ppm FC. So, I would make it a priority to get the CYA down to 80 so that your target FC is 9. Chlorine CYA Chart