Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover

Does anyone have experience with using a solar cover during the day to minimize the loss of FC?
    Ray Boutwell, Wichita Falls, TX
    8,500 gallon IG, pebble pool, 425 gallon IG spa (no heater yet)
    Hayward Variable speed pump (2)
    sand filter for pool, cartridge filter for spa
    Taylor 2006c

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Solar Cover

Hi Ray- yes in my experience they work a treat when your trying to minimise your FC loss especially in the middle of summer. They definitely make a big difference.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

The darker the color and the thicker the ml, definitely. Can almost eliminate it.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I have also noticed my CC tick up a bit when I am diligently using the cover. never more than .5, but without the cover I almost never have any. I think the sunlight gets more of a chance to burn it off without the cover.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!
    Ray Boutwell, Wichita Falls, TX
    8,500 gallon IG, pebble pool, 425 gallon IG spa (no heater yet)
    Hayward Variable speed pump (2)
    sand filter for pool, cartridge filter for spa
    Taylor 2006c

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I'd think that using a cover in TX during the summer, during the day, would produce uncomfortably hot water for swimming. An algae-free pool with a CYA level of 60-70 in TX would not use an terribly high level of FC daily. I'd be interested in looking at the bigger picture - though I see you also have a thread about CYA going. Often helps to keep the conversations in one thread because many times things are inter-related, even if they don't seem so at first.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!