New pool owner, lots of questions

May 10, 2016
New york
Hello everyone. I purchased a home months back with an I ground 17x30 pool. The pool has always been maintained be a pool company. This is the first time opening the pool since I've owned it. I paid a pool company to do it so I can learn. My main questions are what and how do I know when to add chemicals. They added 5 gallons of chlorine and a gallon. I had a couple 3 inch chlorine tablets left over from when I purchased the house so he threw the 3 tablets in the auto feeder. What chemicals will I need and how do I take care of this pool? The pool company was not that helpful because they wanted me to use their service. Thank you for an advise given

Hello Friday and welcome to TFP! :wave: We add only the amount of chemicals your pool needs. To know what it needs, you of course need to be able to test your own water. So please keep that in mind because if you rely on the free testing locally at a pool store (or test strips) you will be very disappointed with the results. So from here, you need to:
- Obtain a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit (link below in my sig)
- Go the Pool School link (also below) and visit those pages to get an understand of what TFP is all about
- The other links below in my sig are used almost daily as references to properly manage your pool

With the right test kit, it's not hard. Problem is most of us waited when we first started because we trusted so-called "experts" in the industry to help when in many cases they only made the water chemistry worse requiring extra work or a drain of water. The test kit is for your benefit, we receive no commission of funds. It's just one of those things you need to do it right. Let us know if you have any questions. Nice to have you with us.

FW: Starting a pool
[Draft‏] Kim Scott
4/23/16

Continue writing|Delete

Hi! SO glad you found us! You will need to get a good test kit to really take over your pool. You can get the TAYLOR 2006 (NOT 2005) from Amazon or you can look in my siggy below for the TF-100. Both will work but the TF-100 is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents you will use on a daily bases.

I bet this will help you to get started with your very own pool!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are now!

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.