Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Idriv442 - 1st time pool owner with troublesome pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Idriv442 - 1st time pool owner with troublesome pool

First off, Hello to everyone.
    I bought and closed on my new home last November. After months trying to get the inside of the house livable and presentable, I moved to the poorly treated in-ground pool. I made contact with several companies and had 2 actually come out and check the pool. 1st guy walked me around and gave me a laundry list of things that I needed to fix/repair/replace. 2nd said they'd "get back to me" and I haven't heard from them again. I knew it needed to get done, so I decided to get it done myself.

Obviously, it was a disaster. I was told not to acid wash because it could be chlorine washed and get cleaned that way. Were they ever wrong?! So, I get a pressure washer and my brother and we spent my 2 weeks of vacation getting it cleaned.

Lots of these teal spots in the pool...

After a pass with the sprayer...

We cleaned up the bowl, but this is the best it's going to get

2 weeks and 10 gallons of gas. I saved money, but it is a work out for your calves, sides and back.

More pictures of the equipment or lack of...
    FNSP 60 Jan '09

Autofill

Booster

Main

Timer

Fillilng up:

Thanks for reading and hope you all can help me with this "project pool"
    Also, had my water tested.

FC: 0
    TC: 0
    CH: 40
    TA: 70
    pH: 7.8
    CYA: 10
    TDS: 200
    New owner of old pool
    30K GAL, IG plaster, max-e-pro xf 1.5hp motor with 3/4hp booster,
    Triton FNS Plus 60 D.E. filter, sweeper out of commission, built 8-1989

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Idriv442 - 1st time pool owner with troublesome pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

That looks like there was a lot of calcium scaling and maybe some metal staining on the surface of the pool (if that was not an old paint job). Acid wash might have removed the calcium easier ...

That is some old beat up equipment. Do you have a functional pump and filter?

The color of your water makes me suspect you might have metals in your fill water.

You should really invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits now and not rely on the poor pool store testing which might end up screwing up your new water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, very beat up indeed. I plan on upgrading a new intelliflo or similar pump. I've been told for that size of pool I need at least 3hp. But I'm here to get non pool place advice. It works, as in comes on and moves water, but it's lacking. I found the sweep under a brush pile. I had them test for metals, came back negative. I will be buying my own testing equipment as well. For now, I threw in some calcium increaser and shock chlorine. Going to top off the pool tomorrow, then get pump running. If it will come on again. It was hooked up to an extension cord before purchase.

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't need a pump that big, I do not see any special high water flow needs. A 1HP 2 speed would be plenty for circulation and filtering.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome. You really cleaned that pool up. Get a TF100. You won't regret it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter