Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Davejavu here. Hi from SE Michigan

1. Back To Top    #1

Davejavu here. Hi from SE Michigan

My name is Dave. I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I live on 5 wooded acres in a Milford, MI with my wife, 2 kids (9yo girl and 5yo boy), dog, 5 cats, 2 horses and a miniature donkey. We are just outside of the crowded suburbs of SE Michigan. I've been reading TFP for over a year now. Thanks to all for the great posts. The information here has been wonderful. I am using TFP BBB in my 29,000 gallon pool (still need to add CYA but the water is otherwise perfect).

Starting about a year ago, I built my own vinyl liner in-ground pool with a kit from Royal Swimming Pools. As a software engineer with a degenerative spinal disease, this was a pretty big undertaking for mostly just me and my compact farm tractor. I did everything (excavation, assembly, plumbing, pool-crete, electrical, liner install, concrete and equipment install). I did hire someone to dig the deep end but I ended up hand digging 14 additional inches due to their misread of the dig spec. The whole project took about 4 months from breaking ground to swimming. The last picture is the progress just before I closed it last fall. The pool is 31 ft wide and 40 ft long with custom seating/swim-out in the 8 foot deep end.

To be done in the next 2 months will be the tumbled bluestone deck (2 ft wide), Synlawn artificial turf with flagstone stepping stones, 3 ft wide x 5 ft tall pondless waterfall (non-pool water), 30 ft long x 2 ft high stone retaining wall/seating bench, diving board, Stenner chlorine pump and a country/farm style fence (built to pool code). We are also adding a fire pit outside the pool area and will have a 12 ft outdoor movie screen. The plan is to host dive-in movies and bonfires all summer long.

I'm looking forward to opening the pool in the coming weekend. The pool still has the winter cover but I de-winterized 2 weeks ago. I have been running the heat pump only on warm sunny days and the pool temp rises about 4 degrees each day. It started at 49 degrees and is at 70 degrees today. I closed the pool with 3ppm FC and tested at 1.2ppm FC the other day without ever adding additional chlorine.

Feel free to ask any questions on self construction. As a pool building novice, I had to master every aspect of the build. I might be able to give some tips if you need help.

IMG_2604.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Davejavu; 05-09-2016 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Picture did not show up
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Davejavu here. Hi from SE Michigan

Welcome to TFP!

Nice work on that pool! Faster than a lot of PBs.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, Davejavu

I could swear I've seen that pool before, somewhere.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I could swear I've seen that pool before, somewhere.
    Hi Richard, With over 14K posts to this site, I'm certain you have seen a pool that looks like this. Thanks for all you do for the site!
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow. I know you busted your rump on that pool. You'll enjoy it more than anyone. You did well! Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Impressive!!!!!!!
    Profile incomplete for now but gunite IG pool, has not been used in 3-4 years - at least. Looks like an alligator swamp at the moment. Workng to get the leaves a debris out and turn a black pool into a crystal blue pool. Rockland County, NY

7. Back To Top    #7

Would love to see some updated pics!

8. Back To Top    #8

Come back Davejavu! I love your pool and have lots of questions as we would also be DIYing it.