Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua Check Salt Strips?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sacramento, CA

Aqua Check Salt Strips?

I received my TF-100 Kit today. It came with some Aqua Check Salt Strips. How accurate have others found these to be?

Here are the numbers from my first test session with the TF:

FC: 14
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 120
    CYA: 70

Is it normal to have such a high FC? My cell is generating at about 40% for four hours a day (12,000 gallon pool/spa). I need to add a little more acid to get get the PH down. Will this also lower the TA?
    Dominick (Inground Pool Newbie)
    650 sq/ft - 20k gallons
    Free-Form Gunite with Granite Ansylbrite Finish
    40 sq/ft 18' raised spa
    Jandy DE60 filter
    Jandy Aquapure 1400
    Jandy Aqua link PDA

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Aqua Check Salt Strips?

When the FC > 10ppm, the pH will read falsely high. Do not lower the pH now.

Looks like you should lower the output of your SWG some.

I have no experience with the salt strips, I prefer the Taylor drop test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

I bought the taylor drop test and received the salt test strips, I have tried both but the strips are just so hard to read/interpret compared to the Taylor test...

You can drop you SWG to 20% and leave it off for a day and see if its under 10fc, then test again
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

I have used the salt strips for 4 years or so and they are close enough to get the SWG happy.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Dallas, TX

To answer your other question, adding acid will lower TA. That's how you lower the TA. Let the SWG drive pH up, add acid to bring it down to 7.2, repeat. Once you get around 70, the pH swings should stabilize a bit. 70 is an estimate by the way, it seems TA for pH stabilization varies a bit for different pools.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!