Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How salt systems determine salinity.

1. Back To Top    #1

How salt systems determine salinity.

The AutoPilot uses a separate trisensor outside of the cell, which contains a conductivity meter, which determines salinity.

The AquaPure also uses a separate trisensor outside of the cell, which contains a conductivity meter, which determines salinity.

The IntelliChlor uses a conductivity sensor inside the cell to measure salinity.

Tha AquaRite uses the performance of the cell to determine salinity. For each cell (T-3, T-5, T-9 OR T-15), Hayward knows the performance of a properly functioning cell at each temperature and salinity combination. The higher the salinity and/or water temperature, the higher the performance (chlorine output).

There is no separate salinity sensor in an AquaRite. There are six wires going to the cell, two white, two black, one red and one blue wire.

The black and white wires carry the power to the cell and are heavier gauge than the other wires. The two white wires go to the center plate. The two black wires tie together and go to the two outer plates. The red and blue wires go to the temperature sensor.

There are no other wires going into the cell to support a salinity sensor. There are 4 extra wires in the cell cord (brown, orange, yellow and green) that are not used and do not go to the cell.

Another way to tell that the AquaRite does not have a separate salinity sensor is that if the T-Cell setting does not match the cell type, the salinity will read wrong.

If the Cell is larger than the T-Cell setting, the salinity will read higher than actual. If the Cell is smaller than the T-Cell setting, the salinity will read lower than actual. One can verify this by changing the T-cell type and see the salinity change.

If there was a separate salinity sensor in the cell, the salinity would not change when the tcell type was changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectionspoolguy View Post
    It is not calculated from the performance of the cell for number 1. It has a built in tester.
    Where in the cell is this sensor and what does it look like?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How salt systems determine salinity.

Why is this thread in agree to disagree?

FWIW my auto pilot salt number is always spot on what the taylor kit tells me
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    Why is this thread in agree to disagree?

FWIW my auto pilot salt number is always spot on what the taylor kit tells me
    Looks like it got split off the original thread. I would have to go digging for it. This does tend to stand on its own though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

This is interesting, but does it really matter if the SWG uses a separate sensor or if it measures conductivity using the cell itself? Either way you a system that is measuring eltroconductivity of the water and reporting it as a salt value which may or may not be correct depending on the other eltroconductive components of the water. The point also being why does it matter if the chemical salt tests and the eletroconductive salt tests disagree when it is all a matter of if the SWG is happy and all the SWG looks at is the electroconductivity. Sure when an SWG cell starts going bad its reading is going to drift more from the chemical test reading, but again we are getting back to the SWG not being happy.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Salt water cell probs

I started a new thread so as not to hijack the above thread. There was a disagreement about how the Aquarite determined salinity.

It maters for multiple reasons. One reason is that, with the Aquarite, you can determine if the cell is performing at full capacity or is underperforming.

6. Back To Top    #6

SWG - a Chemical or Electrical Q.. That's a Q all pool types should ponder.
    Viking Fiberglass 12500 gal - Rockport, Raypak Heater - cupra-nickel, 300k+ BTU, Hayward 2030 Cartridge Filter, Pentair SuperFlo variable speed pump 2hp, and Hayward SWG system - t-15.

7. Back To Top    #7

It’s an electrochemical process.

8. Back To Top    #8

I will definitely admit that this is an area where Hayward has Pentair beat. Hayward at least reports all of the diagnostic values associated with its cells (current, voltage, temperature, salinity, etc) whereas Pentair hides them (you need to buy a separate piece of equipment called an IntelliWand to get the data and you need a laptop to do it). If Pentair would simply send the data to their EasyTouch automation panels, it would make them a lot easier to troubleshoot.

In general though, the salinity readings from an SWG are always a bit suspect because water conductivity is a lousy proxy for chloride ion concentration. The good news is that most SWG's have a wide operating margin from an electrochemical standpoint, that is to say, small changes in chloride ion concentration will not have drastic effects on the chlorine production rates.

JamesW,

Do you know which types of power supplies (constant current versus constant voltage) are used by the various manufacturers?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I will definitely admit that this is an area where Hayward has Pentair beat. Hayward at least reports all of the diagnostic values associated with its cells (current, voltage, temperature, salinity, etc) whereas Pentair hides them (you need to buy a separate piece of equipment called an IntelliWand to get the data and you need a laptop to do it). If Pentair would simply send the data to their EasyTouch automation panels, it would make them a lot easier to troubleshoot.
    I can't stand the controls on my pentair VS pump/heat pump. Much harder to use than they should be.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump