Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to stuff behind edging at base of Intex pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What to stuff behind edging at base of Intex pool?

I am finally installing the cheap plastic "stone" edging at the base of my pool and cleaning up the shredded tarp/bits of foam and other nasties leftover from setting up almost 3 years ago.

From a distance it looks great, but up close looking down there is a 4 or 5 inch gap. I thought I might be able to find some kind of soft grey rubber mulch to match but no luck. Anybody have any ideas besides stuffing old newspaper and spray painting it? LOL

I am wary of gravel and also not sure the cheap edging could even hold it, needs to be pretty light weight, I think. (also cheap would be good )
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What to stuff behind edging at base of Intex pool?

Could you load a picture of where you want filled? No quite sure where you are talking about
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I filled around my pool with river pebbles. I'm happy with them. Not sure if your plastic will hold them in place, although you don't need to stack them very deep - just enough to cover the ground.

I originally used rubber mulch, but it was too light and ended up scattered all over the yard. I'm still picking it up 3 years later.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    I filled around my pool with river pebbles. I'm happy with them. Not sure if your plastic will hold them in place, although you don't need to stack them very deep - just enough to cover the ground.

I originally used rubber mulch, but it was too light and ended up scattered all over the yard. I'm still picking it up 3 years later.
    Wow that looks really good, but do you have any problems with the pebbles migrating under the curve? I was already having a few small pebbles from the yard getting under there and they sure made me nervous!
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Could you load a picture of where you want filled? No quite sure where you are talking about

I will see what I can do - in the meantime, if you look at the picture jeffchap posted you can see how the "bag of water" curves under itself before touching the ground. I have some cheap border edging - http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...m/ST09748i.jpg

I have it up against the legs and pretty much in vertical alignment with the main part of the walls but as that curve goes back under there is a gap of about 4 inches which now has the edge of the foam and or parts of the cut off blue tarp ground cloth behind the edging and looks pretty ugly.

Picture in a few.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Pv2 View Post
    Wow that looks really good, but do you have any problems with the pebbles migrating under the curve? I was already having a few small pebbles from the yard getting under there and they sure made me nervous!

No, nothing has ever worked its way under the liner. This is my third season using these pebbles. BTW, they're pretty cheap too. IIRC, a 40 lb bag of them cost under $3 at Home Depot. The mulch was more than that.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

I elected to use 1.5" to 4" river rock. I placed the larger rocks around the perimeter of the pool to prevent the smaller rocks from getting under the liner.

River Rock edging.jpg
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex 3000 Gph Sand Filter Pump
    Heat Siphon Mode Z575HP Heat Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Looks very nice!
    Pentair IC40 SWG