Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phosphate Levels Matter

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Phosphate Levels Matter

Split by moderator from HERE to longer hijack the original thread with this tangent. jblizzle

I do this for a living I know how it works. I install about 50 a year.

It is not calculated from the performance of the cell for number 1. It has a built in tester.

The tester is made to run low so the lights come on showing a problem but it has been known for it to run fine and read salt fine but the cell is still bad. (Not generating chlorine)

Phosphates can also cease a salt water pool from generating chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt water cell probs

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectionspoolguy View Post
    Phosphates can also cease a salt water pool from generating chlorine
    To quote you: "This is completely incorrect"

Phosphates will not prevent a SWG from generating chlorine. In fact, TFP believes (based on science) that phosphates levels are near meaningless in pools. If you maintain adequate FC levels (which you know is a function of your CYA level, right?) then algae can NOT grow and thus the phosphate levels do not matter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Phosphates feed off of algea, the phosphates also eat the chlorine. You can put 20 pounds of shock in and if the phosphates are high enough it will be gone in a day

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Being yes if your salt cell can generate upward of 6lbs a day yeah they don't matter. But it also puts more stress on your cell making it burn out faster

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

There will always be phosphates in the pool the problem is keeping them in a maintainable area.. phosphates are essentially algae food which makes it grow way faster. More algea=more chlorine to kill them before being able to solve the problem

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Re: Surface algae on walls

Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

I know this, I'm a pool technician. To put it better, does your chlorine seem to be used up faster then normal?

Where I am in the Midwest phosphates have been a problem lately.

We would have to lower the phosphates lever being the algae grows too easily with too much of it

7. Back To Top    #7

Phosphates feed off of algea, the phosphates also eat the chlorine. You can put 20 pounds of shock in and if the phosphates are high enough it will be gone in a day
    This is completely incorrect.

Phosphates are food for algae, not the other way around. If the chlorine level is enough, then the algae can not live and it does not matter how much food there is.

TFP does not recommend throwing massive amounts of "shock" into a pool. If there is algae, then you follow the very specific and well defined ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to eradicate the algae. Once that is done then you can easily maintain the appropriate FC level with a SWG, regardless of the amount of phosphates in the water.

Being yes if your salt cell can generate upward of 6lbs a day yeah they don't matter. But it also puts more stress on your cell making it burn out faster
    Nope, sorry. Once you have eradicated the algae, the chlorine demand is very low (2-3ppm) per day and easy for a SWG to maintain it. Of course you also need to have your stabilizer level set correctly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Re: Phosphate Levels Matter

Lol ok

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

We've tried your SLAM technique and it has never worked for us

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Only thing that has worked is treating the phosphates first. Can't remove and kill all the algae when no matter how much chlorine you put in the pool it's never enough

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Surface algae on walls

I know this, I'm a pool technician. To put it better, does your chlorine seem to be used up faster then normal?

Where I am in the Midwest phosphates have been a problem lately.

We would have to lower the phosphates lever being the algae grows too easily with too much of it

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect here also. If proper chlorine levels are maintained then no matter how high the phosphate levels are algae will not grow. While yo may have viewed multiple pools, our members have tested and used our methods in tens of thousands of pools with positive results. I recommend you take a look at Pool School and see the difference between how we recommend pools be maintained.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

I highly doubt a pool service company would follow that technique correctly ... you were there to test and adjust every few hours for a few days straight?

TFP is geared to the homeowner to learn to maintain their own pools. And I have NEVER seen the SLAM process not work when done correctly.

You are welcome to continue to help members with equipment issues, but perhaps the chemistry questions should be left for others. There is a reason that 100k people have joined this forum to learn a better way than what most of the pool industry is doing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Only thing that has worked is treating the phosphates first. Can't remove and kill all the algae when no matter how much chlorine you put in the pool it's never enough

I'm sorry, but we have thousands of folks who show up with green pools and we walk them through eradicating the algae without ever addressing any phosphate "issues".
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Reflections - So what would you say to somebody with a measured phosphate level of over 20,000 ppb? BTW, no algae in that pool, ever.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

The only times we wouldn't have been there was during the night but yes once we weren't able to get it clear we were stopping by ever few hours from 8am to 5 pm and their was a few that we had the owners continue to test and adjust their levels.

16. Back To Top    #16

Maybe it was a filter issue
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Lol one of the first things we check

18. Back To Top    #18

This thread clearly is going nowhere and serves zero positive on TFP. It is now closed for discussion.

Lee