Calling All Arizona/Las Vegas (or anywhere really hot & Sunny!) Intex Owners

sh9730

Apr 17, 2016
Casa Grande, AZ
OK - so we ve had the pool up for 10 days or so and so far so good - weather actually was pretty chilly (AZ standards) for the last week or so - as a result somewhat limited use - but it will be hot from now on out.

Here is the issue for this post - these big Intex rectangular pools are UGLY! Especially in a suburban setting where it is the dominant feature of that part of our yard.

We understand there are ways (and we plan to) "screen" the ugly gray and the bare dirt and blue tarp. The question is what and how much investment given we are not 100% sure how permanent this will be - but for purposes here ASSUME we would LIKE it to be as permanent as possible given it is an Intex.

PART of the decision making process will be a realistic idea of how long our 18x9x52 will last given the Phoenix area ( we are in Casa Grande ) elements. Can any other Phoenix or other AZ folks provide any input?

Option 1 - is just landscape the ground area around the base of the pool with sand/rock or something similar and live with the Gray pool for awhile - although we don't love it. This is the least expensive option of course - but still when all is said and done will be a couple hundred bucks.

Option 2 - put up a "temporary" screen of some sort like lattice or whatever but no "deck" around the pool at all. This option somewhat eliminates the need for a portion of option 1 as the "screen" would need to be outside of the legs (unlike the round pools where the screen can basically be right up on the pool itself). Ballpark it appears for a pool our size (including some remaining ground cover needs on the site) we bump up the budget to $500.00 or so.

Option 3 - go ahead and do a nicer but still "temporary" screen/deck using stained 1"x8" boards all around as a vertical screen on all sides about 16" from the pool bottom and 2 widths of boards (to make that 16" also at the top) all around the pool as a "sort of" deck just to be used as a place to set stuff on while swimming but not large enough to sit on or anything - this option is the nicest "temporary" version but given the need to have access to the pool etc. for any maintenance I would need to make it somewhat "modular" to take pieces apart as needed to get underneath to the pool. My guess for this option? At least 1K-$1500.

Option 4 (not really in the cards this season until I REALLY know we like the pool) - full borne low level deck of at least 15' out from the pool side and incorporated into the remainder of the yard landscaping. Our situation will not allow for a "pool level" deck as some have done since the pool is 52" high which would mean we would be looking over our walls into neighbors yards and they could too easily see us from theirs - so we would do an almost ground level deck for sunbathing etc. likely with "stairs" that would go up the entire one side of the pool (lots of really cool examples of this out there on Pinterest etc.). Again - this bumps us into the several thousand category so is not immediately in the plans. We do have a large yard for AZ standards with an entire paver patio and lots of lawn left even after the pool install to allow for all the needs of BBQing, sunbathing, etc. in the meantime.

BUT, back to the question - some of WHICH option I choose - and then HOW I implement them - will depend on how frequently should I expect to have to replace this thing. We will likely NOT remove it in the winter - though we likely would drain it (with suggestions of how to best do that from TFP members as the time comes).

My elements include:

SUN, SUN, and MORE SUN!!!

HEAT, HEAT, and MORE HEAT in the Summer

Occasional sub freezing temps in the winter (2-3 times a year at most).

Monsoon rains in the summer with heavy wind and often significant short term heavy rain (up to an inch or more in a very short period). Is erosion a problem that requires "re-setting" the pool base frequently because of these rains? Again, this will really impact how I build any sort of decking.

Other unforeseen factors?

Thanks!!

1 I would not empty or take down, I left mine up all winter (winterized) full with no cover and no issues at all..

2. I went with stairs and deck 10 feet wide and called it a day :) cost was about 500 for everything

Winterize homemade kit :)
gpZuksjh.jpg

I still need to take pic's of the finished product, I will do that tonight and post for you
eiDrLzTh.jpg

uaj5bVgh.jpg

Thanks cowboy for being the first response.

1. Do you just get "used" to the ugly gray? Looks like your yard is bigger - or laid out differently than ours. I have an 8400 sq ft lot which is pretty good size for AZ suburbia - but I have 20 feet on one side of my house and 12 feet on the other (to buffer from neighbors) and much of the remainder was already taken up buy our existing paver patio so my options for the pool were limited and it really dominates. I am getting used to the SIZE - but still not the gray.

2. I know you are in OK and the heat/sun is not the same - but how many years (realistically) will I get out of this pool in AZ? Is it just a matter of replacing the liner then? or the whole thing? As I said - this will determine somewhat the level of "decking" I put in. I dont want to spend 2K or more on fancier decking I need to pull apart every 2 years - but every 5 years if I make it "modular" might not be so bad.

Anxious to see your completed pics. Thanks!

I like the grey but hear ya on the ground mess. I have a post on that in the Backyard Oasis section as we speak.

You don't need to winterize other than throwing a cover over it and maybe running the pump on the rare night it might freeze.

Mine has been up and in the sun going on 3 years with no problem. I figured that would be about it, but now I think 5 or more is going to be easily doable. Did get a better pump/filter and a slightly better winter cover (from Intex) than the one that came with it. Pump and filter will work on my next one and I am totally willing to do the Intex again, I am so impressed with the ingenious, cheap functionality of these things. I doubt replacing "liners" is any better deal than just replacing the whole thing, since the "bag" is way more a structural part of the pool compared to a steel-walled ABG pool. (however there are a few who have relined Intex pools with regular liners - there is at least one thread here on the project)

I like the look of gravel at the base but am nervous about it.

Love this deck. Will have to show it to my hubby. I was wanting something even smaller then this, but I love the stairs closed in like this. Plus, I have a set of steps that go in the pool that we need something to anchor them to as it looks like you have done.

Very nice job!!!

I live in Casa Grande and just ordered my first Intex pool (a small 42x14 ultra frame). I am an avid gardener and plan on using a raised garden bed combined with trellis work and bouganvilla bushes to make the outside of the pool more pleasant. Added feature is that any water that splashes over edge gets the plants watered. Also pool acts as a shade for some of the plants. I am only keeping the ladder area clear of plants the rest gets gardened.

We have a 22 x 52 round intex that's been up and filled for a couple of years in the hot Arizona sun. Very little maintenance in the wintertime - actually very little maintenance in the summer too - and on the few very cold nights we leave the pump running. We have a little trellis type fence around the part of it that we have to look at from the patio, a small deck big enough for a couple of lawn chairs and to attach the stairs to. We figure on getting at least a couple more years out of it. Our last intex lasted six years. :)

Cowboy, I love those steps! Even though it's not a big deck, you've got a lot of seating area and I like that people can access the pool and not have to get up and move. Have you had any big get togethers yet and if so, is that how people use your deck?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.