How Long do I Run the Pump Daily / Returning Algea

Sep 26, 2015
Friendswood Tx
My pool is partially under a tree and I have quite a bit of small debris that seems to float on the pool surface and sink to the bottom. I've been vacuuming on demand, which seems to be 2 times per week. I've installed a skimmer which seems to catch a very little bit of debris. Because it looked like a swamp after the winter and my CYA was above 100 (thank you pool store), I've drained the pool completely, scrubbed it, and started off with all new water. There was a tiny bit of algae left in the hoses and pump that I could not reach. I kept my FC at shock level for 4-5 days.

The pool has been up and running for about 4 weeks, and the FC has never fallen below 4 with a CYA of 45-50. But I keep getting green settlement along the bottom. If I brush it, a cloud of green plumes up. I'll run the pump continously and put the FC level up to 20 (letting it slowly settle back down to 5 or 6), and it goes away. For about a week. I live in Houston TX, and we have been getting a lot of rain. Is this normal? Is this what pool life is like?

When the FC is up to 20, I run the pump continuously. Other than that, I run it 2 hours a day. Would running it longer or 2 times a day help this problem? The pool holds 5,300 gallons and the pump runs at 2,500 gph.

If your pump is 2500 gph with a 5300 gallon pool running the pump 2 hrs then you're only turning over 5000 gallons daily. I would double my run time if I were you. I'm in no way a pool pro but it certainly doesn't hurt to run the pump a little longer to rule it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not clear if you have followed the SLAM process until you have passed the 3 criteria to stop. Did you do the OCLT?

If you are maintaining adequate FC and have adequate circulation, you should not be getting algae.

You might need to run the pump more for better circulation, those Intex pumps are pretty anemic and you are not likely getting 2500 gph, that would be moving more water than my pump does ;)

If your pump is 2500 gph with a 5300 gallon pool running the pump 2 hrs then you're only turning over 5000 gallons daily. I would double my run time if I were you. I'm in no way a pool pro but it certainly doesn't hurt to run the pump a little longer to rule it out.
Turn overs are meaningless. Most pools only need a few hours of circulation which is well less than a full turn over.
But, as I also mentioned above, the Intex pumps are pretty week, so more run time might be needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.