Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My first pool - Intex 24'x52'

1. Back To Top    #1

My first pool - Intex 24'x52'

Well, the pool is on order. I decided to begin measuring the area tonight. I used a 13' piece of string tied to a stake at the center point, and stayed the circumference with with paint. Now I can really get a good perspective on the area I need to prep! Ugh! Anyway, I'm sort of feeling guilty about taking so much yard space away from the dog. But, hopefully she doesn't mind. I'll continue updating this thread as I make progress.

Intex Ultra Frame 24x52 AGPIntex sand filter #128645HTH 6-way test kitPool was built and filled week of 6/24/16

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My first pool - Intex 24'x52'

As I said on your other post, you won't regret the 24 footer, and that good-looking dog of yours will still have plenty of place to play
    Kevin, TFP Believer & Supporter
    (Yup, I drank the pool water)
    13.5K gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl, TF-100 Test Kit
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200 SqFt Hayward Element Filter
    Recommendations: Pool School, TFTestkits & Pool Math

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by klynch494 View Post
    As I said on your other post, you won't regret the 24 footer, and that good-looking dog of yours will still have plenty of place to play
    I'm hoping. I just know she loves to run around the yard.

Intex Ultra Frame 24x52 AGPIntex sand filter #128645HTH 6-way test kitPool was built and filled week of 6/24/16

4. Back To Top    #4

I was originally going to go with the salt water system, but I've read a lot of things about rust being caused by them. Any suggestions here?

This is the pool I'm getting, https://m.kmart.com/intex-24-8217-x-...bR4xoC3prw_wcB

5. Back To Top    #5

Take lots of pictures of the process.

Stock up on Motrin and beer.

These are my favorite levelling threads. See if you can't top them.
    Leveling is the worst ... I don't think it will ever work
    I need advice on leveling my ground.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd like to start setting and leveling the papers. Maybe this is a stupid question, but, what size pavers should I use, and how do I know how many and exactly where to set them?

7. Back To Top    #7

I started roto-tilling the ground tonight. There are so many rocks and stones. The previous owner must have back filled the area where the old pool was with sand and landscaping stone.

And this is where they're going.

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe I'll just plant corn instead!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Ledvedder View Post
    Maybe I'll just plant corn instead!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    This makes my back hurt just looking at it. Where's the Motrin?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    This makes my back hurt just looking at it. Where's the Motrin?
    The back is fine so far. It's the knees that are suffering.

Here it is!

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, so now that I have the ground dug up, I'm looking for suggestions on the easiest way to remove the grass and weeds. I'm assuming just lots of rake work?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Ledvedder View Post
    Ok, so now that I have the ground dug up, I'm looking for suggestions on the easiest way to remove the grass and weeds. I'm assuming just lots of rake work?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Lol. Or lots of white vinegar and a hot sunny day.
    Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi Ledvedder,
    Our yard was so much worse than yours at the start. Years ago, a previous owner had a storage shed placed upon ? inches of gravel, rather than concrete pad. Over the years, the gravel sunk into ground, etc. After we leveled, we realized there was no way to get avoid the rock. After hand tamping ground to as close to level as possible, we used a black "pond liner" to cover the ground to protect from the gravel, grass, weeds, etc. For the pavers, we used the small rectangular size ? , broke in half. We assembled the frame only of pool & placed in pool area, marking the spots where the feet would be, making sure the legs were level. Took frame apart, placed the pavers level in ground, then installed pool.

Sounds like a lot, but has paid off. Most specifically if you need to take your pool down & replace/put it back up.

Would never go without a salt system again! Such a Money saver & convenience.

Best wishes.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by michelle63 View Post
    Hi Ledvedder,
    Our yard was so much worse than yours at the start. Years ago, a previous owner had a storage shed placed upon ? inches of gravel, rather than concrete pad. Over the years, the gravel sunk into ground, etc. After we leveled, we realized there was no way to get avoid the rock. After hand tamping ground to as close to level as possible, we used a black "pond liner" to cover the ground to protect from the gravel, grass, weeds, etc. For the pavers, we used the small rectangular size ? , broke in half. We assembled the frame only of pool & placed in pool area, marking the spots where the feet would be, making sure the legs were level. Took frame apart, placed the pavers level in ground, then installed pool.

Sounds like a lot, but has paid off. Most specifically if you need to take your pool down & replace/put it back up.

Would never go without a salt system again! Such a Money saver & convenience.

Best wishes.
    Thanks for the response. Did you use anything besides the pond liner between the ground and the pool? I've read that a lot of people use the pink insulation board. My local Home Depot has 2'x8'x1" sheets of it for $11 apiece. For my 24' pool, I'd need 36 sheets. You can do the math. I'm not looking to spend that much money on a base.

15. Back To Top    #15

This is what I used, works great and only 3/4" thick. Durofoam EPS Rigid Insulation 96Inch X 48Inch X 3/4Inch | The Home Depot Canada
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelB View Post
    This is what I used, works great and only 3/4" thick. Durofoam EPS Rigid Insulation 96Inch X 48Inch X 3/4Inch | The Home Depot Canada
    Wow, that would still be $250, since I would need 18 sheets. That's half the price of the pool.

17. Back To Top    #17

I sprayed this on the area last night, although I've never had much luck with it. I'm hoping it does the trick.

18. Back To Top    #18

Any teenagers in the area? They might be willing to help for some cash. You never know.

I would plan on hard plumbing your equipment using valves and unions so that when (notice I did not say if) your cute doggy runs into it nothing bad will happen like a pulled out hose or such.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Any teenagers in the area? They might be willing to help for some cash. You never know.

I would plan on hard plumbing your equipment using valves and unions so that when (notice I did not say if) your cute doggy runs into it nothing bad will happen like a pulled out hose or such.

Kim
    Teenagers that want to work? Haha! Where do you find such a thing?

20. Back To Top    #20

Yup, that is about the cheapest you will get. Days of $5 a sheet are long gone.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast