New Pool, New Water, First Time Using TFP Method

Feb 27, 2016
Roselle, IL
Recently installed a new pool and just finished filling it with water (Lake Michigan Tap Water). My initial readings were:

FC-0.5
CC-0.0
pH-7.5
TA-140
CH-200
CYA-0

Added 12.5% CL to get up to FC= 2.0, then started with CYA. After about 80% of the recommended amount of stabilizer, I am now at:

FC-2.0
CC-0.0
pH-7.2
TA-140
CH-200
CYA-20

Should I aerate to get PH back up a bit before try to finish the remaining stabilizer? I also need the PH to get up so I can work on TA at some point, but not too worried about that yet.

With your elevated TA, I suspect your pH will rise quickly on it's own. But since you have a heater we don't want to take any chances. Yes - aerate a bit to get it at least to about 7.4-7.5, then keep an eye on it for a day or two and go from there. Keep the FC at about 3-5, never below 2 though. You can add more stabilizer at any time.

your doing great, you can point a return up to make ripples in the water or a waterfall of some type works, this will bring your PH up naturally and allow you to drop your TA, check this out :) Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
I take it you put stabilizer in to bring your CYA to 30 already so go ahead and bring your FC to target level of 4 and keep it above 2 at all times :)

I hope this helps

How long should aeration take to raise the PH. I got about 0.2 rise in 10 hours, is this about right or should it be faster/slower? I have the return jet pointed up at 45 degrees, I am sure if I had a fountain or some other aeration contraption that I have seen on this site it would be quicker right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.