Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool, New Water, First Time Using TFP Method

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool, New Water, First Time Using TFP Method

Recently installed a new pool and just finished filling it with water (Lake Michigan Tap Water). My initial readings were:

FC-0.5
    CC-0.0
    pH-7.5
    TA-140
    CH-200
    CYA-0

Added 12.5% CL to get up to FC= 2.0, then started with CYA. After about 80% of the recommended amount of stabilizer, I am now at:

FC-2.0
    CC-0.0
    pH-7.2
    TA-140
    CH-200
    CYA-20

Should I aerate to get PH back up a bit before try to finish the remaining stabilizer? I also need the PH to get up so I can work on TA at some point, but not too worried about that yet.
    13,200 GAL Aqua Leader Influence 54" AG | Heyward S244T Sand Filter (250 Lbs.) | 2-Speed Hayward Pump | RayPak 206 Cupro Nickel Natural Gas Heater | Hard Piped | Kontiki 2 Suction cleaner | TF-100 Test Kit w/ SpeedStir | 2016 Install | Chicago Suburbs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool, New Water, First Time Using TFP Method

With your elevated TA, I suspect your pH will rise quickly on it's own. But since you have a heater we don't want to take any chances. Yes - aerate a bit to get it at least to about 7.4-7.5, then keep an eye on it for a day or two and go from there. Keep the FC at about 3-5, never below 2 though. You can add more stabilizer at any time.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

your doing great, you can point a return up to make ripples in the water or a waterfall of some type works, this will bring your PH up naturally and allow you to drop your TA, check this out Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    I take it you put stabilizer in to bring your CYA to 30 already so go ahead and bring your FC to target level of 4 and keep it above 2 at all times

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone, will check back after some CL and aeration
    13,200 GAL Aqua Leader Influence 54" AG | Heyward S244T Sand Filter (250 Lbs.) | 2-Speed Hayward Pump | RayPak 206 Cupro Nickel Natural Gas Heater | Hard Piped | Kontiki 2 Suction cleaner | TF-100 Test Kit w/ SpeedStir | 2016 Install | Chicago Suburbs

5. Back To Top    #5

How long should aeration take to raise the PH. I got about 0.2 rise in 10 hours, is this about right or should it be faster/slower? I have the return jet pointed up at 45 degrees, I am sure if I had a fountain or some other aeration contraption that I have seen on this site it would be quicker right?

6. Back To Top    #6

You're right. Just depends on the type and amount of aeration you can generate.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

How long after adding MA should I wait to take a new PH and TA reading?

8. Back To Top    #8

With pump mixing real well, you should be good in about 15-20 minutes.