It limped along last year, and got us through the summer, but It has already broken down on me twice this year, and I have had to fish it out of the pool once. I have some questions about the different parts, and if anyone has (cheap) suggestions I am all ears. I'm a poor man trying to help my family live the pool life dream here, so keep that in mind!
1. What is the back up valve (I know which part it is on the cleaner) and what is its function on the cleaner? It has a TON of water (seems like more than last year) flowing from it which I assume is part of the reason old girl (son named her the Decepticon) just isn't doing it this year.
2. I know I need a sweep hose (and barb) for it, but the screw that is at the end of the hose, is it an attaching screw? I saw somewhere on another model that it is an adjustment?? I assume this adjusts the water flow through the sweeper hose making it slither this way and that.
3. I see axle and gear replacements on ebay, but the wheels on the buss go round and round just fine, I think my problem is more on water flow through the cleaning system, not the drive system.... BUT would I be smart to do this?
4. The leaf bag..... oh, the poor leaf bag. OK.... I KNOW I need a bag, but the clamp that holds it to the cleaner keeps coming out. I see bags all over the place for other Polaris models that APPEAR to come with the clamp, but I cant seem to find any for the ole 180. Any ideas??
5. There is another "port" or "nipple" on the back of the cleaner, that looks like another hose should be attached, but there isn't?? Is this port maybe the "exhaust" from the drive system? I know, I know
6. Someone told me that I need to check my Thruster?? What is that, and how do I check it?
7. Is there anything else I need to look at/ inspect to get more life out of this thing??
8. Where is the best/ least expensive place to search for needed parts? Any of you have anything (including money) you would like to donate??