Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrade filter - how to change inlet and outlet pipe spacing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dorset, UK

Upgrade filter - how to change inlet and outlet pipe spacing?

I'm upgrading my 16" side mount Lacron filter to a 24" side mount. The new (to me) filter does not have a multiport valve with it so I am planning to re-use my existing one. The 24" filter has the inlet and outlet 3" further apart than the 16"

That means I need to extend the filter outlet drop pipe from the multiport by 3". I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. I've attached photos of my existing filter and multiport valve.

The outlet pipe seems to be screwed into the valve with PTFE tape providing the seal. I would have expected to see a half union here. Is this normal?

Normally, I'd chop the down pipe, add two couplers joined with a 3" piece of pipe. Or I could replace the moulded elbow with a standard elbow and a coupler to add some length.

Is there a better way to do it, perhaps with screw fittings instead?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12ft x 24ft x 4ft inground vinyl, 32,000 litres, 3 phase 1.25hp Waterco pump on DIY VFD for cheap variable speed. 18kW Heat pump, Lacron sand filter, Solarmatt, 10kW Solar PV

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Upgrade filter - how to change inlet and outlet pipe spacing?

Actually "normal" is for the pipes that connect to the filter to be part of the multi-port valve.

In fact, the bulkhead fittings on the new filter may be designed to only attach to the matching backwash or multi-port valve. There may not be a way to connect pipe to them to even try to link up with your old valve.

I would recommend skipping the hassle and getting the correct valve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!