Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the swamp!

1. Back To Top    #1

Welcome to the swamp!

It's that time of year again! I'm debating spending some money on a "hard" loop-loc cover that will keep out rain and sunlight so the water doesn't look like this every time we open the pool.

SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Welcome to the swamp!

A cover won't do much more than keep debris out.

If you follow the TFP methods and close/open early, more often than not, most have opened to blue water.

Good looking area btw. I have grasses like that but they are about 2 feet in size, wow those are huge!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    LOL That's the way I feel.
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you just open? We recommend opening before the water hits 60 degrees. That's about when algae likes to pick up.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Did you just open? We recommend opening before the water hits 60 degrees. That's about when algae likes to pick up.
    Yes, today. I'll start the SLAM soon after the pool guys get done with the opening stuff. Never heard the 60 degree recommendation before, I'll think about that for next year. And as far as the cover goes, I was told that a cover that doesn't allow rain or sun in will keep the water clear until you open. Is that false?

7. Back To Top    #7

yes it's false.

all it does is keep junk out of the pool.

The reason most pools turn green is lack of chlorine when the water gets to 60
    then the algae starts.

Now if you do get a ton of leaves every winter then a cover will help.

organic matter sitting at the bottom won't be helping any when your ready to open.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

You want to wait to close after the water is below 60 also. Some people have used a solid tarp over their mesh covers to keep gunk out over the winter.

9. Back To Top    #9

One big problem with opening before the water hits 60 - large oak trees. Have to wait until they stop dropping those flower tassels.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
    Yes, today. I'll start the SLAM soon after the pool guys get done with the opening stuff. Never heard the 60 degree recommendation before, I'll think about that for next year. And as far as the cover goes, I was told that a cover that doesn't allow rain or sun in will keep the water clear until you open. Is that false?
    I have a mesh cover and always open to clear water. I bring my pool up to SLAM level for closing and when I open I still have chlorine. I close after Halloween and open the third week in March every year.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

11. Back To Top    #11

Floc is settling the junk in the water. Next step is to vacuum and start a SLAM.

12. Back To Top    #12

Here she is the next day after starting the SLAM.

Got up this morning and passed the OCLT! Next up is a final vacuum, adding CYA, and fixing the spider gasket so I can backwash without re-seating it every time.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Looks like you only have a week or so to go. Still really cloudy, Don't stop now or the green meanie will rear it's ugly head!

- - - Updated - - -

For sure post another pic once you get the stuff cleaned up from the bottom.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Great progress! Definitely keep going a few more days and you will have sparkling water.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Great progress! Definitely keep going a few more days and you will have sparkling water.
    I'm going to have to "puck it" a couple of days, going camping. But have no doubt, the SLAM will resume and pix will ensue.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

What is your CYA?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    What is your CYA?
    0 right now, headed to the store to buy some. It's been cloudy here lately but the sun is definitely out today.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Good idea Don't forget to take into account the CYA that will come from the pucks...

19. Back To Top    #19

1.9 ppm from each

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

you got it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast