First Time Opening My Pool Myself...

May 6, 2015
Chickasha, OK
Thanks to the confidence TFP gave me last season, I decided to open my pool myself this year (with some help from a pool-savvy neighbor). No sense paying the LPS $400+ just to pull the cover, thread in some plugs, and prime the pump...

So, we started by removing the Loop-Loc cover, and this is what we found:

999E9E5A-6804-4A80-82DF-3CF1BA4D8ED1_zpsxfkjndfa.jpg

Got the pump primed and running strong. Checked my FC level and found it to be 0. CC was also 0. I should mention there was a dead rat in one of my skimmers -- that's probably the reason I had zero chlorine in the water.

Added 1.5 gallons of 10% chlorine to get to 6 ppm, checked after 2 hours, and FC was down to 2. CC was negligible (which I found surprising...).

I'm now just over a week into a "partial SLAM," i.e., maintaining FC above 16 ppm (CYA is at 40) and brushing periodically. Lost quite a bit of FC for the first few days (including losing anywhere from 4.0 to 6.0 ppm overnight), now down to only losing 1.5 to 2.0 ppm overnight.

My biggest question right now is this: Does everyone have to SLAM their pool with each seasonal start-up? Or should I have done something differently when I closed it back in the fall?

After cleaning out dirt and residual leaves, I dose to bring my FC up to about 10 and perform an OCLT. If I pass that, I just go right into maintenance mode. It's kind of a SLAM, but not really... but in the spring I have had at least some measurable FC every time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.