Surprise chlorine liquid

Bal

Jun 18, 2013
So went to open the pool this weekend and it seems the pool company left a pail out and the lid open on a mostly full 35# tub of 3" tablets all winter. And of course they are not individually wrapped.

So I now have a large tub of very strong chlorine liquid I can not put in the pool as I do not want to to raise my CYA (already at 60).

Proceeded to open pool but how the heck do I get rid of this stuff? The container is not seal-able. The off gas is pretty bad as it is.

I am thinking of using a pond pump to fill the now empty chlorine bottles so I can at least seal it all up. Then let it set in the sun until it degrades? Other suggestions?

Thanks

You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT TO SEAL IT UP! You will cause a dangerous build up of chlorine gas which can lead to an explosive release of liquid.

Simply move the bucket away from the house and let the chlorine off gas on it own. Do not try to contain the vapors in any way or else you will create a hazard.

Also, check to see if your local municipality has a drop off location for pool chemicals. Here is the link to mine under automotive and other products Household Hazardous Waste Recycling (HHW) | Environmental Management Department

Good idea but I doubt any municipal drop off will take a bucket of fuming tablets nor are wet tablets safe to transport. Wet tablets will continue to fume chlorine gas until they dry out. This problem was caused by some idiot at the pool service company and they should be the ones to correct it in my opinion. I'd be on the phone spitting mad at them to clean up the mess.

Yep some "feedback" will be provided to them but I like to prepare for the worse. The reality is they cant transport it either...if they did and did it poorly how much you wanna bet I get sued by the minimum wage worker they send out and gets himself gassed?

I wasn't even thinking of pressure buildup and that is a great point. From that perspective the ONLY way to get rid of it is let it air out. No one is going to pickup an unsealed container without getting paid...a lot more than I am willing to spend.

Thanks for the help.

Of course not, which is why I said you could drop it off (after off gassing of course). I had to drop off lots of pool chemicals left by the previous owners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.