SOLVED: Pool startup PSI issue

Jul 21, 2008
I just got a new liner in the pool Saturday and the pool all filed up. I cranked on the filter and backwashed for 3 minutes(plus a rinse cycle) to clear the old water out of the sand filter. Everything looked great. I turned the lever to 'filter' and it started filtering, but had a loud hum. I started investigating and the pressure gunge is at 44 PSI!!!@ That is about 3-4 times more than normal? Should I be concerned? How do I release this pressure? Backwash all my new water out? Help! I'M LOST....

Re: Pool startup PSI issue

I have to assume they cut the holes in the liner for the returns, didn't they?

Like Sphisex is saying, it almost has to be a blockage beween the multiport and the returns.

It is nearly impossible to have a PSI of 44 so my guess is that the gauge is broken. Does it go to zero when the pump is shut off?

Also, what size/model pump do you have?

Sorry for the late replies... Mother's day and church had me away all afternoon...

I agree that the gauge may be the culprit, because it seems like the returns are working properly. I backwashed and rinsed and it seems fine. I am still not home, but if I remember it is a Hayward Pro 245 sand filter. The gauge is not returning to 0 when I turn of the power... i thought it might be bad, but I can't remember if it returned to zero before or not...

WhisperFlo pump... 1.5 HP i think... I will update later when I get home...

Yeah, after getting home last night after dark I checked and the PSI meter on the filter is at 30 when the power is off. So, while running it goes to 42psi today which is about 12psi. That is my normal range.

Sorry Spring paranoia. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.