Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Adding Salt

I have a relatively new saltwater spa. I seem to have adjusted the SWG to maintain a stable level of FC (i.e. 3 hour run time at 25% for 2,200 gal. spa). However, during the past month I have added 25 lbs of salt to maintain the recommended level of 3,400 ppm. Since the spa has an auto cover & is opened maybe for an hour every other day, I am curious why the salt level is dropping. Is this normal?

Thank you kindly.

Kit
    Kit
    14' X 11' rectangular in-ground spa; 2,360 gals; plaster/gunite; SWCG (Pentair IntelliChlor); Pentair Intelliflo varaible-speed pump; EasyTouch4 control system; cartridge filters; auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Salt

You'll lose salt with splash out. Are you ever having to add water to the spa?

How are you testing the salt level?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    You'll lose salt with splash out. Are you ever having to add water to the spa?

How are you testing the salt level?
    Literally no splash out. The spa does have an auto-fill, but haven't heard it running. And with the auto cover closed virtually all of the time, I am assuming that evaporation is minimal. I am taking the salt level reading from the Easy Touch control panel.

Kit
    Kit
    14' X 11' rectangular in-ground spa; 2,360 gals; plaster/gunite; SWCG (Pentair IntelliChlor); Pentair Intelliflo varaible-speed pump; EasyTouch4 control system; cartridge filters; auto cover

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest getting a dedicated salt test. I use Taylor's K-1766 salt kit, which is a drop based test.

My SWG thinks I have too much salt yet its right where it should be per the salt test. It just is confused, but happily continues on making chlorine
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Salt does not evaporate so even if there is evaporation and refill the salt level remains the same. The only way to lose salt is splash out and carry out on wet people. Generally, if the SWG is making chlorine then be happy. If it gives a low salt error then add some. Temperature fluctuations can cause the salt reading to vary so if you are checking at different temps keep that in mind.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Salt does not evaporate so even if there is evaporation and refill the salt level remains the same. The only way to lose salt is splash out and carry out on wet people. Generally, if the SWG is making chlorine then be happy. If it gives a low salt error then add some. Temperature fluctuations can cause the salt reading to vary so if you are checking at different temps keep that in mind.
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious --- salt does not evaporate. Geez, what was I thinking??

I will think about getting a dedicated test kit for the salt level. If for no other reason, to verify the reading on the Easy Touch panel.

Thank you both for your help.

Kit
    Kit