Is this a passable filter system for a 27' round?

Apr 30, 2016
Hurley
I know this isn't top of the line or anything since it seems I should be looking for a very large filter & smaller pump but this is the best I can find for now, to remain within my budget I've been shopping for slightly used pool equipment. I've found a Hayward 200lbs sand filter & 1.5hp pump. Will that get me through the season without the pool turning green? If it will I'll upgrade before next spring.

Thanks so much for your input!

Also, the filter has nothing to do with a pool turning green. A pool turns green because it has no chlorine.

Please read up on the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks so much for your reply, the reason I asked if that filter & pump would work specifically is because someone was selling them after minimal use. After I saw your reply I went ahead & bought them & I'm very glad that I did! Not only did I get the pump/filter for a couple hundred bucks, the lady was very generous and included all her other pool supplies so I ended up getting a set of wedding cake steps (wanted those bad but didn't wanna pay $400 for them lol so I'd marked them off the list) a winter, solar, and leaf cover, a cover pump, water pillow, a couple of vacuums, skimmer basket, leaf skimmer with telescoping pole, and some left over chemicals. So all in all I think I won the pool equipment lottery lol

I'm just now getting ready to order my pool, it's been a real headache with all the options out there and especially trying to stay within my budget which was originally $1500 but I'd given up on finding anything and increased to $2000. But after getting all the equipment I think I'll need (if I've forgotten anything you can think of please point it out) for less than what a winter/solar cover was going to cost me new I shouldn't have any trouble getting a pool w/liner within my budget.

So I'd just like to say thank you very much! Without your reply, I would've just skipped over the ad because I wasn't sure it would work. I will however replace the pump with something smaller when funding allows to keep down on electric costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your reply, I've been reading the about the water chemistry and understand that algae forms when there's not enough chlorine present but I always thought you had to have a pump/filter along with the chlorine to keep a pool from going green. Thanks for setting the record straight!

Dalf, welcome! :wave:

It sounds as if you've been doing quite a bit of homework and reading. Please get one of the recommended test kits...either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 (more of the same Taylor testing reagents than the 2006). A good test kit is by far your best investment for your pool (and your sanity).

Oh, and post up pictures!

Dalf, welcome! :wave:

It sounds as if you've been doing quite a bit of homework and reading. Please get one of the recommended test kits...either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 (more of the same Taylor testing reagents than the 2006). A good test kit is by far your best investment for your pool (and your sanity).

Oh, and post up pictures!

Thanks so much! I've got the test kit on my list & will order it when I order the pool, most likely tomorrow :) still trying to decide between a couple, there soooo many options, which is probably a great thing for most but not so good for someone as indecisive as me lol

I see you have a 27' AG, how do you like the size? That was probably the hardest decision for me. I started out wanting 24', then decided i had to have 33', but have since decided 27' is probably plenty big enough lol

I'll post some pics when I start working on the ground, I plan to try to do it myself & mostly by hand. We'll see how far I get before I have to call in reinforcements :)

honestly, if I had it to do over, I would have gotten a 33'. My advice would be to go as big as you can afford and have space to put it. I would upgrade my filter. And I would be more mindful about where I had my skimmer placed. Oh, and 2 returns would have been nice. LOL

Go as big as you can afford. If you can get the 30+ ft pool, get it! No one ever regrets the bigger pool. If I coul d have fit anther 3ft I'd of bought the 27. Go big or go home. :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone for your opinion on size! I went to Walmart a few hours ago and got some tent stakes and rope so that later today we can get out there and measure for a 30' & 33'. I know the 30' should fit from previous measuring for the 27'. But I'm not sure if I can get a 33' where I want the pool to go because it would be getting closer to this big rock that makes me nervous. It might easily be removed but with my luck being the way it is, it's pprobably a buried boulder lol I'm just not sure how big it could actually be, as we just recently bought this house.

Another question for you guys, especially Casey since I believe you have extensive knowledge of ground work (I just finished reading your build thread, took a few hours! Your pool is beautiful (love your grass umbrellas!) and I'm so glad that your husband is OK & everything worked out for you :) The previous owners of our house had a 18' pool, so the ground is leveled that far, but it slopes off 4-6" going towards the rock I'm concerned with. Is there anyway to safely build the area up to level with the current pool site, or am I better off just digging down the existing site to prevent the ground settling like I've been planning?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went from a 24' to a 30' and am glad I did. If you wanted a 33' and 27' was big enough you could spilt the difference with a 30'. LOL

Do you have a picture of your pool? If you do I'd love to see it! One of the site's I've been shopping shows it as grey in the main image but the additional image shows it as more beige, even though it says it only comes in one color lol

Beige would probably match my house better but honestly I like the grey design on the main pic better.

Welcome to TFP, glad you found a deal that will help you stay on budget. On a side note, please include a State, etc. in your location line as the climate you live in effects some of the advice we give, so it helps to know where Hurley is.

It is always better to dig down, also if on a budget take a look at intex, I was looking at those type pools also and went with intex, they are very nice pools when modified a little bit ?

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

Thanks everyone for your opinion on size! I went to Walmart a few hours ago and got some tent stakes and rope so that later today we can get out there and measure for a 30' & 33'. I know the 30' should fit from previous measuring for the 27'. But I'm not sure if I can get a 33' where I want the pool to go because it would be getting closer to this big rock that makes me nervous. It might easily be removed but with my luck being the way it is, it's pprobably a buried boulder lol I'm just not sure how big it could actually be, as we just recently bought this house.

Another question for you guys, especially Casey since I believe you have extensive knowledge of ground work (I just finished reading your build thread, took a few hours! Your pool is beautiful (love your grass umbrellas!) and I'm so glad that your husband is OK & everything worked out for you :) The previous owners of our house had a 18' pool, so the ground is leveled that far, but it slopes off 4-6" going towards the rock I'm concerned with. Is there anyway to safely build the area up to level with the current pool site, or am I better off just digging down the existing site to prevent the ground settling like I've been planning?

Always dig down. As stated, if you can go bigger, do it. But my neighbor has a 27' and we have the 26' Intex, and they are plenty big, even with 6-8 teenagers in it.

I went from a 24' to a 30' and am glad I did. If you wanted a 33' and 27' was big enough you could spilt the difference with a 30'. LOL

Do you have a picture of your pool? If you do I'd love to see it! One of the site's I've been shopping shows it as grey in the main image but the additional image shows it as more beige, even though it says it only comes in one color lol

Beige would probably match my house better but honestly I like the grey design on the main pic better.

Thanks so much everyone for your opinions on size! I've found it really hard to decide without being able to see anything in person.

I think a 30' will fit, based on me measuring for the 27' but I'm not sure about a 33', because there is this rock that makes me nervous, it appears to be a buried boulder, however it could be easily removed. I just don't know we just recently bought the house.

It's a shame it's not safe to build the ground up because there is already a 18' foot leveled site where the previous owners had their pool that I'll have to dig down 4-6" in order to put in a bigger pool. It would be so much easier just to build the low side up, but I'd be to afraid of it settling :( oh well it should be some good exercising all that digging lol

Hey guys I apologize for the delay in response, things have been a bit, heck no really a whole lotta irritating with the pool purchase! So I am reluctant to share where I purchased from. Though I think everything is fine now but I will still wait until I have it in hand before I do any recommendations.

I decided to go with a 30'x54" (so now I'll probably be looking to upgrade my filter, but oh well i still for some really great stuff included with this one & can probably sell it for almost as much as i paid for it) and got it for a really great price IMO, it fit my budget and is a good brand I think. But here's where the trouble came in, the customer service was grade A when II was asking questions about the pool and a couple others. But then after I actually paid for the pool they went incommunicado literally no contact. They were supposed to email/text/call with a tracking number but didn't. I called them & everytime they told me the guy was on another line, in the warehouse etc. They took MSHA but he never answered them.

During the time of this happening I'm sitting back saying **** I got ripped off I should've known the price was to good to be true. I got to the point this a.m. that I was ready to call my card company and report it as a possible fraud to see if that would get a response. But I decided to let my hubby have a go at them. Low & behold the guy finally sent the tracking # five or six hours later.

Now in their defense they did actually ship when they were supposed to, but it's arriving at the shipping terminal tomorrow (saved $150 driving there to pick it up) but it would have just been sitting there for who knows how long if they hadn't finally come across with the tracking #. I honestly think they were just really busy but I would have appreciated them communicating with me like they originally said. It made me feel like, we've got your $, we have no obligation to speak to you now lol it was frustrating to say the least.

As long as everything is right with the shipment I'd still recommend them because I shopped for a month or longer aggressively searching for the best price possible & that's them. Hands down.

In the beginning of this thread I got all my equipment & accessories off Craigslist, so the only thing coming tomorrow is the pool itself, liner & skimmer. I would have been out alot more $ trying to buy equipment from them, but I guess it's about the same with any pool store.

Sorry for the long winded post! I just wanted to let you know why I didn't disclose where I was purchasing from just yet.

I'll be starting a build thread shortly/or changing the name of this one if I can.

Couple ?'s Though, my bill of lading shows 800lbs for the pool, liner, & skimmer. Does that sound right? I know people have said these shipments are heavy, but I was expecting 5-600lb max since there isn't any equipment/accessories included lol

Anybody pick theirs up at the terminal? Can you explain the process, do I have to load it myself?

Thanks.

Just so you know, the steel wall for that pool is probably 500 pounds by itself.. They should be able to load in the truck..

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.