Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oops, pumped DE into pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Oops, pumped DE into pool

I was in the process of precoating my filter with Diatomaceous Earth. However, I had left both return line valves to the pool open. One shunts water through the filter and the other directly to the pool. I should have had the return valve to the POOL off. Upon adding the six pounds of DE to the SKIMMER poolside I noticed the jets shooting out white DE. Some made it to the filter, but most made it directly back to the pool.
    I am going to suck it up. It has been said that DE is potentially a Carcinogen. Does this create the need to empty the pool? Do I need to pre coat again? This was a stupid oversight, but Asi es la vida!
    I live in Lynchburg, VA. and have a vinyl 16x32 in-ground pool with avg. depth 6.5'. 26500 gallons.
    Tri-chlor 3" tabs, bleach, Arm and Hammer soda, muriatic acid, Flo-tron ionizer, solar cover, Hayward D.E. filter, Hayward Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oops, pumped DE into pool

Quote Originally Posted by Guffey Guy View Post
    I was in the process of precoating my filter with Diatomaceous Earth. However, I had left both return line valves to the pool open. One shunts water through the filter and the other directly to the pool. I should have had the return valve to the POOL off. Upon adding the six pounds of DE to the SKIMMER poolside I noticed the jets shooting out white DE. Some made it to the filter, but most made it directly back to the pool.
    I am going to suck it up. It has been said that DE is potentially a Carcinogen. Does this create the need to empty the pool? Do I need to pre coat again? This was a stupid oversight, but Asi es la vida!
    DE is only a carcinogen when inhaled. Just vacuum it up and it will coat the filter in the process.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks a million. My wife will keep me.
    I live in Lynchburg, VA. and have a vinyl 16x32 in-ground pool with avg. depth 6.5'. 26500 gallons.
    Tri-chlor 3" tabs, bleach, Arm and Hammer soda, muriatic acid, Flo-tron ionizer, solar cover, Hayward D.E. filter, Hayward Chlorinator.

4. Back To Top    #4

For what it's worth, I don't think DE is a carcinogen (cancer causing). However the particles are sharp and shouldn't be breathed as it will irritate your lungs, which can cause problems to people who are chronically exposed.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump