Sta-Rite .75hp pump

brasilmom

Jul 23, 2011
Brookfield, WI
Greetings,

My pump is about to give up. We have a Hayward at the moment and it is about 12 years old. Parts are hard to come by and the new motor is also hard to find. The cost of it is not pretty and is about the cost of a new pump. Now, I wonder if going down .25 hp is a good idea and also what people here have to say about the Sta-Rite pump. I do not have model, just a recommended .75 hp.

Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,
When you say pump is about to give up, do you mean the motor, or the wet side. Motors are pretty standard. Shouldn't be that hard to find. You might even be able to replace the motor with a 2 speed.
If you're going with a new pump, look at getting a 2-speed.

Hello,
When you say pump is about to give up, do you mean the motor, or the wet side. Motors are pretty standard. Shouldn't be that hard to find. You might even be able to replace the motor with a 2 speed.
If you're going with a new pump, look at getting a 2-speed.

The dry side, just the motor. It is probably bearing by the dry sound of it. I called couple local suppliers and they both said that this motor is too old and very hard to find. The one that found quoted me $26 short of a new pump all together. And he knows my pool and made the suggestion of going .75hp, rather than 1hp. I am not sure if it is a 2 speed motor, but I will check with him. Is Sta-Rite a good and reputable brand?

There is not a lot to it. Unhook the power wires and connect them to the new pump. Breaker off of course. I would order a set of pump unions with the pump so that you can remove it later as needed. Sunplay can help you with those. I'm not sure how close your old plumbing will align with the new plumbing. But, if you are familiar with working with PVC pipe it usually isn't that difficult to cut the plumbing back enough to replumb to get everything aligned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good choice. I have bought products from both companies and both are great. I tend to buy from Sunplay most often, their service is always great and their prices are great too. Give them a call and they can check inventory availability and let you know when they can ship. They usually ship same day.

Thank you pooldv. I will contact them tomorrow and find out how soon they can ship the pump. The one I have sounds so bad that I am afraid to go outside when it is running. I am running it to a minimum, just to circulate a bit of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.