first time opening

PeterQ

May 8, 2014
Windsor, CT
Hello,

So I bought my house with a pool 2.5 years ago, I've managed the chemicals in the pool using the methods from this website for the past 2 years with great success. Thank you. In the past I've paid someone to open and close the pool, but decided this year that I'm paying too much and decided to go it myself. Just started this morning and already have a few questions.

When I pulled off the safety cover, this is what I found in the spa:
spa.jpg

In the past, when the pool was opened it wasn't green, not sure what is different this year. The water is 50 degrees, so I'm guessing it happened in the fall? Closed the pool end of September, can't remember if it was unseasonably warm in the fall. Anything I could have done different to avoid this? Once I get it fully open, I will follow the SLAM procedure for the first time.

My main reason for posting: at the bottom of the spa are 2 returns with plugs in them. I've watched the pool be opened the last 2 years, so thought I had a grasp on how to do it, but I have no idea how to get those plugs out without climbing into that crisp 50 degree water. Pretty sure the guys who opened the pool in the past didn't jump in, is there some trick I missed? Don't really want to jump in.

Thanks for any help.

Peter

Could be that you closed a little too soon last fall. Also, if you had a warm spell after closing, the small volume of spa water might have heated up enough to cause a problem where the pool's much larger volume didn't change the temp much.

Sorry I can't help you with the plugs... perhaps this bump will get another look at your question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.